Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Considering motion sound.. but do I need it?

mound

I'm looking for pros and or cons to justify or shut up the G.A.S in me before considering spending dough on a motion sound keyboard amp.

I currently am plugging, through a small mixer, into a Mackie m1400i power amp, connected to two Yamaha S10-E cabinets.. I can prop them up or put them on low stands behind me at head level. It sounds good enough but of course requires lugging a power amp, two cabinets and stands..

Can anybody offer any convincng arguments either way? My wallet is pushing me to ignore the G.A.S :)

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you have a nice monitor rig already! What keyboards are you using? When you single out Motion Sound, are you looking to add the rotary effect with a KBR-3D, Pro3-T, or other rotary? Or is this just a solid state replacement for your monitor system with something like a KP200s or KT80?

If your answer is the latter, then I would stay to stick with what you have and spend the money on more keyboards!

Regards,

Eric

my only keyboard is a Roland RD-700..

I am striving to maintain a stereo monitoring setup, while all the while "downsizing" to keep my little 2 door cavalier happy :-)

I have a rackmount Lexicon MPX G2 which has all kinds of interesting amp modeling capabilities, so no, I'm not looking to the motion sound for any of that. Though that does sound interesting.

edit:

KP200s
Yeah, that's the one I was looking at.. one piece of gear that could provide a stereo image..

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

Mound,

If it's just for your Roland I'd say stick with your setup. Those Yamaha speakers are more Hi-Fi and will sound better on pianos than any Motion Sound. I would go Motion sound for rotary, and then only the Pro-145 is really worth it in that case. I own it. It sounds very good for it's size. I actually was thinking of selling it and buying a leslie, but I'm not sure. I am a strong advocate of the mixer-power amp-speakers setup for keyboards. I think the All in one boxes are only worth it for rehearsals at best.

best of luck with it.

HJ

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

Any thoughts on those Mackie SRM350 powered speakers? I think two of them together is probably lighter than my power amp alone ;-)

I just demoed some JBL JRX112M (12") floor monitors for that purpose. Actually, I have a pair of 25- or 30-yr-old EV 12" floor monitors that work great -- I use 'em as monitors and mains. But I always play at the same place every week, and my rotary cuff tear just isn't getting better, and I need a pair at home, so I was looking for a similar pair to leave at the bar.

Big surprise, the new JBLs sound even better. A little pricier than the Yamahas 10"ers, at $280, but 10" just doesn't put out the bass I want (especially for solo, when without bass player -- 10" should be fine with bass player!)

Plus the JBLs have holes so I can put 'em on my stands, if I ever have the need.

I think I'm gonna have to get out my wallet ...

BTW, I use an old EV/Tapco Entertainer (10ch stereo 100W/side powered mixer -- noisy and wimpy). I'm thinking of upgrading to a better powered mixer. I like the boxy packages, but I haven't found one that has a clip indicator on every channel yet. So the best looking one so far is the Yamaha EMX5000-12, which is a mixer-shaped thing rather than a box. But I do like faders ... Going for $580 on ebay. They say 500W per side into 4 ohms, I hope that's at least 200W into 8 but the specs don't say.

well a buddy of mine recently picked up two of those Mackie SRM350 powered 10's. I was fortunate to borrow them for a gig last night. Holy cr*p! These things absolutely kicked. I put them up on some amp stands about head level as I sat. ran from my RD700 into a stereo volume pedal and straight out into these cabinets.. They sounded beautiful. Tight crisp highs, and stage rumbling bass on my synth patches. I was very impressed.. And at only 32lbs each they are quite managable, with nice moulded handles. I may have to get me a pair of 'em and sell the power amp!

I honestly believe that only people who don't like Motion Sound amps are the ones who don't own one. I own two Motion Sound amps (KP-100s and KP-200s) and a pair of powered JBL EON G2 10's and powered subs. The MS amps get the most workout. Here's why:

* The EONs have higher fidelity IMHO than the MS amps, but not by themselves - they work best with a good mixer to act as a preamp/EQ etc. None the less the sound of the MS amps sound very full and quite good. They also have direct outs so they easily hookup to a pair of powered speakers if you need more power (makes a nice surround-sound system).

* Consider everything to need with a speaker/mixer/power amp or powered speaker system: power cables, audio cables, extension cords/power strips, cases or racks, stands, I can go on and on... with the MS amp you need one power cable and two audio cables for your keyboard - setup is fast and simple.

* I carry my entire keyboard rig comfortably in a VW Cabrio, including the MS amps.

The MS amps really work great for me. If you like good sound and easy setup/transport, they rock.

I honestly believe that only people who don't like Motion Sound amps are the ones who don't own one. I own two Motion Sound amps (KP-100s and KP-200s) and a pair of powered JBL EON G2 10's and powered subs. The MS amps get the most workout. Here's why:

Owned One, returned it. Too little power, and kinda noisy. Sorry motion sound lovers. I like my pro-145 alright though.

-Charlie Parker

Tom:

I read the specs on the Motion Sound boxes. Seemed to be underpowered by today's standards. Didn't look like they've gotten much beefier watts-wise over the years. Some of the units had microphones built in and audio outs for them. Yuck. We were mic'ing leslies years ago to keep up with LOUD guitar players and hard rock levels. I didn't care for the mic'ed sound anywhere near as much as the real sound of a wooden Leslie. The only solution was for everyone to TURN DOWN their stage volume. That didn't work very well. :rolleyes:

Edit: Tom, just for curiousity, I just checked out the PRO145 you have. You have the BIGGEST one. :D Why am I not surprised? :D:D

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Tom:

I read the specs on the Motion Sound boxes. Seemed to be underpowered by today's standards. Didn't look like they've gotten much beefier watts-wise over the years. Some of the units had microphones built in and audio outs for them. Yuck. We were mic'ing leslies years ago to keep up with LOUD guitar players and hard rock levels. I didn't care for the mic'ed sound anywhere near as much as the real sound of a wooden Leslie. The only solution was for everyone to TURN DOWN their stage volume. That didn't work very well.

Edit: Tom, just for curiousity, I just checked out the PRO145 you have. You have the BIGGEST one. Why am I not surprised?

Mike T.

Ha Ha, yeah I bought the flagship. Now they have a bigger model for home use, but the pro-145 is tops for live. I am going to sell it. I have been playing a B-3 through a leslie 147 speaker for the past two weeks, knocks me out man. I am going to get a leslie 145. it's big, it's heavy but it rocks. Know anybody who wants a mint pro-145?

Best,

Tom

-Charlie Parker

I owned a Leslies 145, 147rv, and a Leslie 900 in the old days. I liked the sound of the 147 the best. The Leslie 900 had the most power, but I didn't like the sound as much as the original Leslies. When I use to play live with a B3, I use to put the 145 on top of the 147 in a stack and we mic'ed the 147 into the PA. Between those speakers being right behind me, and loud guitar players, no wonder I can't hear anymore!

How much are you going to sell your Pro 145 for?

I think you're right, you take a hit on gear when you resell it. If you price it too high, no one buys it, if you price it low enough to sell, you got to dig into your pocket again. If you have the room for it, the 147rv sounds better and is a bit beefier than the 145 IMHO.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

If the Leslie doesn't seem loud enough, you're probably too close to it. By 30 feet away, it's the loudest thing in the band. Those things carry like you can't believe.

You can't judge it from the stage.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

If the Leslie doesn't seem loud enough, you're probably too close to it. By 30 feet away, it's the loudest thing in the band. Those things carry like you can't believe.

You can't judge it from the stage.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived