Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

does a connector like this exist?

mildbill

has anyone ever seen a cable that has a usb connector on one end and a midi connector on the other?

i'm thinking for a laptop that only has a usb port and no midi port.

did a little quick checking and i found one here:

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/um1x.html

but my usb controller isn't among the tested devices - does anyone use one of these?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.

The information that goes across a USB cable and a MIDI cable aren't the same thing. It wouldn't make any more sense to make a cable with a MIDI connector on one end and a USB connector on the other end than it would be to put an AC plug on one end of a cord and a quarter-inch phone plug on the other end. The result would not be good. :eek:

Originally posted by mildbill:

did you guys check my link in my first post?

i found one but am not 100% sure it will work with my laptop - thanks for the input tho.

The question you asked and the link you pointed to are not the same thing. That's why there is confusion. The link you pointed to is a USB MIDI interface, not just a USB cable on one side and a 5 pin DIN on the other.

But yes, it should work on any modern laptop.

"For instance" is not proof.

there will be no single cable with a USB plug on one end and a MIDI plug on the other. It just doesn't work that way :-)

I have successfully used one of These on both an older and a new laptop with no problems at all.

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

hey! what do i know?

ya, you're sort of right, but it 'does' have usb on one end and midi on the other - it's just got some extra crap in the middle.

Immordino: it looks like your link will work for what i want.

i'm assuming it comes with a cd that has some type of driver?

my main concern is that it will show up as an available midi port in cubase.

hey! what do i know?

ya, you're sort of right, but it 'does' have usb on one end and midi on the other - it's just got some extra crap in the middle.

Immordino: it looks like your link will work for what i want.

i'm assuming it comes with a cd that has some type of driver?

my main concern is that it will show up as an available midi port in cubase.

Ok, just let's go back to the basics:¨

It is NOT a "Cable adaptor" from USB to MIDI, but a USB MIDI INTERFACE. Any single piece of hardware will need a piece of software called "driver" which facilitates the communication to and from a MIDI device through the interface.

All of the commercially available USB MIDI INTERFACES include their drivers CD and will surely work in any software sequencer. You will find these kind of products from manufacturers like EDIROL, M-AUDIO and several others.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Are we all feeling nit-picky today?

What he pointed to was a cable with a midi interface on one end and a usb interface on the other (and a thingy in the middle that allows the two pieces of cable to communicate). He never used the word adapter.

I think we're creating complication where there doesn't need to be any. We knew what he had to connect, the rest was a terminology technicality.

now i know what i need:

a usb midi interface

Hopefully my limited English capabilities were polite enough. I was really trying to help in a simple conceptual thing.

:wave:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Archived