Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

M-Audio problems

robmix

What's up with quality control and customer service at M-Audio. I've got three problems with them that have occurred in the last few weeks.

1). The 88 Pro, check out the thread in this forum. The problems are well documented. Broken keys, sleeping issues, etc.

2). Oxygen 8, just got this yesterday. Fire it up and a couple keys don't work. They don't send any kind of MIDI message. Nice . . . . . .

3). Ableton Live, I know they're just the distributor but here's my story. A client came over late one night with some stuff in Live he needed mixed. I don't have Live so I purchase a download on the internet. Unfortunately it's not a full version, I still had to wait about 10 days to get the authorization discs and codes. That's lame, why even make it downloadable ? So we get throught that hurdle, and a few days later notice that everyone is selling Version 3 at $299, $100 less than Ableton direct. I email them to say what's up and they tough shit, hope you like our product. Alright I'll bite the bullet on that one as I needed to keep working. Then to top it off about 5 days later Version 4 comes out and I have to pay for the upgrade. I'm sorry that sucks, even Digidesign, with notoriously bad customer relations, gives free upgrades to customers who've purchsed the software in the last few months. Again I know M-Audio is just the distributor for Live but as company reps they should lookout for the customers and be offering advice as to how to market products both new and as upgrades.

The end result, I'm taking both my M-Audio keys back to Sam Ash this week and getting products from another manufacturer. Unless they reinvent the wheel and drastically improve their quality control under Digi I'll never buy another product from them again and won't be recommending them to anyone. If Digi eats them up and they disappear I say good ridance.

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ableton should not be selling their product for under their MSRP. Otherwise, why would anyone buy from anywhere else, and why would anyone stock it?

Sorry you had some bad experiences with M-Audio. I've had excellent customer service from them, but I do have to say that apart from my 2496, I've had to send every M-Audio piece I've purchased back to them for repair.

I didn't even think about that until this moment!

My Oxygen 8, one of my BX-8s, my UC-16, and my Uno! (The UC-16 and the Uno were exchanged at the store).

Man, M-Audio products must be allergic to my house or something.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by mjm:

Well maybe Digidesign will help re-instill faith back into the M-Audio brand.

The only thing that pursuade me to be an M-audio customer again would be for them to recall every Keystation, fix the problems, and ship them back at no charge. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Well, maybe he got one of the good ones. The problems seem spotty - not every user is reporting the same problems. Some peoples 88's go to sleep, some have keyboard problems, etc. Mine's only frozen once but the key problems show up more often though it's happenning less. Maybe there's a break-in period. The interesting thing is how many people are coming forward in various forums to report problems with other M-Audio products. Few people can report 100% success with M-Audio.

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Archived