Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Motif vs Native Instruments Absynth

vaix

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a synth and cannot decide... Could you tell me of you experience which one is the better considering also the fact that absynth being a softsynth is much cheaper than motif...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Motif and NI Absynth are two totaly diferent worlds. Motif is workstation, which means it is a machine able to provide complete set of tools for music production and stage performance in one box. Motif has diverse sound set, sampler, sequencer and FX unit in hardware format. It is also upgradable via PLG, memory and addon cards. Absynth on the other hand is software, virtual synth, i.e. one part of complete Motif pack. With Absynth you can come up with great sounds but in no way you can compare it with each other, except with synth sounds of the Motif. With Absynth you would need DAW (digital audio workstation) or VST host to hear it action and make it integral part of your music production. Rest of the story I would gladely leave to someone who is native englisg speaker. :D

If you use search engine of this forum you will come up with big knowledge base on various topics regarding all kinds of keyboard instruments and music production.

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Vaix, perhaps the larger question you're asking is whether to invest in workstation-style hardware or in a softsynth setup. For the same price as a Motif, you could assemble quite a powerful arsenal to cover all the same bases: synths, samplers, sequencers, etc.

What kind of computer/soundcard do you have? Do you have a keyboard to use as a controller? Do you want to be able to play live with your setup? What kind of music do you do? All these questions and more might start a more substantial dialogue here...

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I run an electronical metal band, where I play about 50% guitar and 50% synth. But the synth side is not only to play lead's but to make more complex atmospheric sounds. Let's say half of the music comes from various (soft)synths via the computer and the other half is guitars. Most of the sounds are played by a sequencer, but every once in a while I step behind the keys.

I have a PIV 2200mhz laptop with M-audio's Firewire Audiophile soundcard. I'm planning on buying M-audio's keystation 88 pro as a controller.

The goal is mainly to play live (what I do currently, but I'm having difficulties). Here is one of my biggest concerns. Will the computer (with winXP, cubase (with ASIO) and so on) will be stable enough to use live? I wouldn't like to see a blue error screen in the middle of the big concert.

Right now I'm using a Propellerhead Reason 2.5, and main question is if I should invest some more to soft synth world or should I go to hardware?The money is a big issue that I must definitely consider...

thx to all

Originally posted by vaix:

Right now I'm using a Propellerhead Reason 2.5, and main question is if I should invest some more to soft synth world or should I go to hardware?The money is a big issue that I must definitely consider...

thx to all

Well, on it's own Reason 2.5 is by my humble opinion the most stable application on the market. I never experienced crashes on stage or in studio. It is a great bang for the buck and offers in one pack everything you need. It seems to me that all you need is good key controler and a couple of Refills for Reason. It is allways nice to have a harware instrument, but with Reason and laptop properly set, I dont see and needs. Cubase with Reason as rewire slave is completly different story. I would stick to Reason, it is fun and easy to use and one of the best software instruments/sequencers on the market.

Hope this helps more.

:D

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Archived