Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Tech Support.....R70 drum machine-Surprise!

MikeT156

With all the bad things I heard about Roland's tech support I have to relate this experience to everyone.

I called this afternoon to find out what options I have to back up my (Old)R70 drum machine. It won't load from memory cards into the internal memory anymore, but it plays fine from the RAM cards. The batteries in my RAM cards are way old and I want to copy the data I have on them so I can put them on newer cards with fresh batteries so I don't lose my work.

I spoke with a guy named Jack. Believe it or not folks, he was very helpful, knowledgeable, as well as courteous. He was familiar with the R70, seems that he had one at one time.

He told me that although Roland doesn't make the M256E RAM cards anymore and don't use them in any of their current products, there are some M512G cards still out there that will work in the R70.

He also suggested I try doing a bulk midi dump to my Ensoniq TS10, in case I can't get my hands on a card, or it might be that I won't be able to copy the existing cards to the new one because I can't load the existing cards into the drum machine. I don't know if I can do a bulk dump from a RAM card or not, I neglected to ask him. He spent as much time with me as I needed. I was pleasantly surprised.

If anyone else has any ideas on what I can do to save my data let me know. My TS10 isn't general midi and I'm not sure if my TS10 has SysEX data capability, have to check.

I know I'll need a MIDI interface to connect to my PC if I go that route, but then I'd have to buy it and software too. I'm looking for an inexpensive way to save my data.

Suggestions welcome! :idea:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A USB MIDI interface for your PC is cheaper than a RAM card for your R70.

Get the interface...bulk dump software can be found for free all over the net, or often MIDI interfaces come with some rudimentary sequencing package that can record a sysex dump.

By the way, General MIDI has nothing to do with what you are talking about.

"For instance" is not proof.

Archived