Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

D-50 Back in the Rig!

eric

Actually, it's a D-550 rack unit. I used a D-50 for several years back in the late 80's through early 90's. My guitar player had one (rich parents) and he did not use it, so it was part of my live rig along with my DX7IIFD and JX8P.

I always loved that D-50 sound and have lately been feeling a bit nostalgic to have one. I did not really need another keyboard, so I was looking at the rack version. I found a great deal on a D-550 and it just arrived today. It has been fun going through those very cliched sounds that actually seem a little fresh after not hearing them for awhile.

So I will probably be going nuts on the Digital Native Dance sound for awhile. It is strange how those tired sounds can become new again. There is something about the overall sound of the D-50 that is hard to describe. I know my S90 has more synth horsepower and a wider variety of sound potential, but that vintage Roland L/A sound is a different beast. I have been getting bored with creating S90 piano/pad combinations, so now I can use the D50 for pads and the S90 for piano. It should be a nice combination.

If anyone has any recommendations on websites with patches or other tips, that would be great. I have found a couple just by doing google searches.

Regards,

Eric

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This post has me thinking about getting the D-50 card for the V-Synth. Hmm...

And if you happen to see the multi timbral mod for the D550, avoid it at all costs. I had one installed in mine, and it was neat getting 4 multitimbral voices from it, but for some reason, Sustain (cc64) was global.

"For instance" is not proof.

I remember the first time I heard a D-50 in person. I was in a music store around '86 trying out a guitar synth pickup on a strat connected to a Roland MKS-80 just tripping at playing an analog string sound while improvising some chords on the fret board when about three or four high school aged guys burst through the door over to a D-50 and promptly dialed up a breathy flute sound. It was like some sort of revelation at the time.

steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

I'm thinking of bringing my D-50 back into the rig as well. It always fits nicely into the mix. Of course so many of the sounds are dated and instantly recognizable......

Maybe I should dust off my old Sequential Six-Trak as well. :)

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

So Eric, I hear through the eBay grapevine that you're gonna be without your D-550 80's digital goodness again, huh?!?!?! At least, I *hope* so (since I'm the one who just bought it off ya) :D Just out of curiousity, what's the recent bout of GAS for????

I just put 2 + 2 together and realized that was you/your unit up for grabs, as I was reading this thread a few days ago and it contributed to my decision to go ahead and acquire a D-550 (something I've been wanting for a while). Talk about full service, you get someone all fired up about getting a D-550 and then you even go and sell one to 'em for a great deal.

Just as an aside here, if any of you ever end up buying from Eric on eBay (or anywhere else) be prepared for a very easy time of things...thanks a bunch Eric, and I am really looking forward to doing the DigitalNativeDance here real soon!

Actually, I had another semi-related question, brought about by a thread over on the HC KSS board: has anyone actually done a head-to-head comparison of a real D-50/D-550 vs a VSynth with the VC-1 (D-50) card ? The thread over there denegrated into a pissing match and nobody ever really answered the question except to go on a mostly off-topic diatribe about analog vs digital (and since the D-50 isn't really analog, the thread was really almost pointless).

Anyway, anyone done or heard this kind of comparison? The VSynth looks like a good idea, but Roland has been known to drop the ball before. If they start getting more cool cards/addons for this platform out the door and into customers' hands, this might be a synth to look at.

Thanks!

bax

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is definitely NOT for you...

So Eric, I hear through the eBay grapevine that you're gonna be without your D-550 80's digital goodness again, huh?!?!?! At least, I *hope* so (since I'm the one who just bought it off ya) Just out of curiousity, what's the recent bout of GAS for????
Yep, that's me! I have a somewhat bad habit of buying stuff, enjoying it for a little bit and then moving on to something else. I am relatively stable in terms of the main keyboards in my rig, but I dabble very frequently in different rack units, VA synths, analogs, etc. My budget does not allow me to keep everything I buy and since I'm mainly a live player, my philosophy is that if the latest piece of gear won't be part of my live rig, it is sold!

So with the D-550, I bought it hoping to enjoy those sounds again (which I did, for sure!) and I had visions of integrating it with my S90 and Electro rig for gigging. I've become spoiled with all the hands-on controls available today and have been lusting after the Nord Lead 2x, so that's what I decided to get. Therefore, the D-550 was put back on the market.

I guess you could say I've got more waffles than the house of pancakes, but it is a hobby of mine to buy and sell gear. I had not done it in a little while, so hopefully this latest round is now out of my system!

Bax, I hope you enjoy the D-550! Play the Digital Native Dance sound all day! It is great!

Regards,

Eric

Eric - I know what you mean...unfortunately, I haven't had too many good experiences *selling* gear, so I usually end up just keeping it any more :D My wife is a saint and puts up with my ever-growing garden of gear, but fortunately I have most of it neatly racked up/cable managed or put somewhere out of the way.

There's been a space in the rack right above my MKS-80 just waiting for a D-550 for a while now, so thanks for filling that space up, and I'm betting she's not going to move from there for a long time to come!

Thanks!

bax

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is definitely NOT for you...

Eric,

I also seem to collect gear,I thought everything was a necessity, but in reality it's a hobby. However when I got my D-550 in 89,it has never left my rack. Just can't part with those pads.

My question to you is b3 clone question.

I just purchased a Motion Sound 145 to go with my Roland VK-7. Will a Speakeasy Vintage Pre amp make a night and day difference or am I just reaching for that perfect B3 sound and adding to credit card debt?

Archived