Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Password protection

analogman1

Hello all!

Quick qustion..I'll be getting a laptop soon, and running Cubase or Logic (dep. on the platform) and my biggest concern is...WHAT IF IT GET'S STOLEN??!!!?? So how do you guys/gals protect your work? Do you use password protection (on boot up, then for accessing the application)? Or is there a way to "hide" the song files you've created? Sorry I sound so paranoid...

Big T from NY

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stay paranoid. You can only be safe from the average joe. When my system took a major fall I had to reload windows. When I did I lost all my pictures and mp3s, so I thought. Windows has a workaround for that. I wished they didn't but with close to ten years of memories on the drive, whew! Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

If you are using Windows XP you can protect your computer with a password and nobody will be able to access any of the informations stored on the hard disk. Otherwise you (being the system administrator) could just create one or more accounts, with your own protected by a password. This way others (like members of your family) will be able to log in into their accounts (with or without a password), but your account and all the files you have created will be accessible only to you, provided you have saved them into your own "Documents" folder.
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Like KcBass said, you can only be safe from the average Joe. There's software that can reset the XP Admin password. Most users won't know about it though.

Why are you worried about it getting stolen? Are there people out there that are trying specifically get into your machine and steal your music? Or are you worried about protecting it from your average dishonest person who "happens" upon your computer?

Also I'm relatively new to these type of forums, and I've seen "BUMP" a few times and am wondering what it means. Is it just a statement to "bump" the thread to the top of the forum?

Originally posted by Immordino:

Why are you worried about it getting stolen? Are there people out there that are trying specifically get into your machine and steal your music? Or are you worried about protecting it from your average dishonest person who "happens" upon your computer?

[/QB]

I'd say, the average "dishonest person..." anyone else would probably not be interested in my tunes!

Also I'm relatively new to these type of forums, and I've seen "BUMP" a few times and am wondering what it means. Is it just a statement to "bump" the thread to the top of the forum?

[/QB]

YES - it's a "gentle" way to get your topic back to the top!

Thanks

Big T

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Archived