Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using a laptop

supermanrulez

Good day to everyone. A couple of things.

1. I want to use my laptop to run my software (cakewalk now, sonar soon). My sound card is pretty crappy so I can't record or hear anything realistic from it.

2. I want to run my keyboards into my laptop (S90 and Triton Le) and into cakewalk/sonar for recording, effects and all those goodies and then..

3.I'd like to interconnect my laptop to my digital recorder for final recording and mixing.

Am I correct in thinking a Digital audio interface will get around the sound card problem with the laptop? If no, I am going about this the wrong way, any recommendations on what to do? If I am correct about the DIA, any digital audio interface recommendations? I'm not looking to spend a whole lot but I don't want anything crappy either.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, opinions and comments!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ubiquitous M-Audio makes a bunch of outboard audio boxes, as does Roland and just about every other manufacturer.

The only thing i see as strange in your plan is your desire to go to a dedicated digital recorder for your final mixing...why add another stage of complication? Why no just do it all in the computer?

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by supermanrulez:

Am I correct in thinking a Digital audio interface will get around the sound card problem with the laptop?

Yep, you are correct! With the added audio interface, the build-in soundcard will not be used anymore, so it can't ruin anything anymore. :cool:

Like zeronyne said, if you record all with the laptop, you don't need an external recorder. You'd just need some audio outs so you can hear what you recorded. And some audio ins for recording your other gear.

If 2 inputs and 2 outputs are sufficient, check out the Echo Indigo IO (www.echoindigo.com).

Thanks alot for your input and suggestions. The midi interface would be important because I've written many songs over the years with different gear and saved them in midi file format. Of course when I record, I want to do so in an audio format. I'll check out the suggestions you've made. Thanks! BTW - How serious is the USB/midi latency issue? Will it pose serious problems?

I also have a midisport 2x2.. haven't noticed any problems beyond the normal midi timing.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Same here. Laptop + Echo Indigo IO + Midisport 2x2; no problem.

USB midi-latency could be a bit of a problem in the early USB time; now it is not that big a deal, although a pcmcia would be just a bit faster. Anyway, I don't notice latency when playing (ASIO in the 3.5ms latency setting).

Archived