Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need advice on how to achieve clarity in my mixes!

I just recently completed a couple of mixes.I use Nuendo-the files are 16 bit i should add.I`m just finding with my mixes that in a subtle[but maddening] way it seems like there`s a thin blanket over them,when a-b`d with professional mixes.A little bit of compression goes into some of the recorded sounds eg. bass,vocals,but not more the about 2:1.As a final touch i bring up the volume using either the L2 or Timeworks mastering compressor.I guess i`m wondering where the problem might lie-in my event 20/20`s,or do i need to go through the mix and brighten up key elements-eg vocals,snare,guitars?Does using a plug-in like the L2 or timeworks take away presence?I try to listen to the mixes on car stereos,ghetto`s etc. to make a final assessment but i can never seem to achieve the clarity-while preserving the warmth.Any advice would be apreciated! Arch

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, what else are you dealing with? mics, instruments, monitoring/tracking environment, the type of music? There are a lot of reasons why a mix might not sound stellar. I think that a lot of it might have to do with the fact that (or so I'm lead to believe) you're editing these tracks in 16 bits. A higher bit rate would give you better audio to work with from the get go, even though it'll have to be dithered down to 16 bits in the end. Of course, it could be something as simple as needing better placement for mics or the need for a more appropriately sculpted EQ curve for each instrument.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

As you're using a computer, does the saying "Garbage in, Garbage out" ring any bells? It could very easily be that the sounds that you're using just aren't crisp in the first place. If you're using mics. make sure they are the most suitable and placed in the right place on good well set up and well played instrument. If you're using synths and samplers make sure you're using the right sounds and using a good pre amp to get them into the computer. Also make sure you've got the best soundcard that you can afford and the best monitoring(speakers and room). Also a good musician and a good engineer are not the same thing although a few manage to do both. The road to competency is a long one for most people and so is building a good studio. If it was easy everybody would be able to do it.
It's not a successful climb unless you enjoy the journey

I think that one of the keys to clarity in mixing is subtractive EQ. Reducing frequencies that are muddying up the mix will make a big difference. A lot of instruments have frequencies in the low-midrange and everything cannot occupy the same band without creating mud. I find that you have to thin out the tracks. Rheolowr is right too. The original sources must be recorded with good fidelity. This means good mics and preamps. You can't expect a dynamic mic and a Soundblaster to sound as good as a Neumann U-67 through a Neve 8068 into a Studer A-800. You can certainly get good results on more modest equipment but there is a limit and you can't fix everything in the mix. Contrary to popular belief. And you never could. :( I don't think 16 bit is an issue either. A lot of great sounding recordings have been made on Sony 3348's. These are 16 bit machines. The quality of the A/D convertors is a consideration though.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

I compress each channel, about 4:1 usually. And play with the attack and release times. This way, I don't end up haing to apply too much limiting in mastering.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Archived