Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piano Tuning Socket?

phestic

Hey all,

2 questions...

1. I want to get my friend a piano tuning kit but I dont have that much money!

Does anyone know where i can get one for a good price?

2. Does anyone know of any place else that makes or sells the star head piano tuning socket for regular mechanic ratchets? Like

http://www.mypianoshop.com/store/catalog/product_16544_Ratchet_Star_Head.html

?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd get a real hammer rather than try a ratchet. Most ratchets have some play in the head that would make it harder to get a stable tuning. (The usual technique is to bring it slightly sharp, then knock it down to the correct pitch.)

Sorry I don't have a good source, but I remember seeing a very basic student hammer and mute kit for about $45 last year. Hopefuly this is within your budget.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Thanks! Thats a good point about the play in the ratchet... I didnt even think of that.

Well I think I can get it for about that on ebay.

Does anyone else know where I can get it for cheaper? I dont need any tuning books or cd's with it.

Most major cities have piano supply houses. They will sell you a tuning lever without any books or CDs. However, you really need the felt strip, some mutes, and a fork or other pitch reference to tune a piano.

I lost my tuning lever, I think in a move. I used to keep one around to deal with the occasional single string that slipped out of tune. I tuned a couple of pianos with it before figuring out that I really shouldn't. Anyone can get the tuning close but getting a piano to sound good is quite another matter.

Bartolomeo

This link offers an economy tuning kit for $49. This is about as good as you'll get for a new kit.

You should learn how to use Google. :)

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Archived