Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So I'm looking for a house...

Well, good news on my end, anyway....Mrs. offramp informs me last night that it looks like we got approval for 100% financing on the house I mentioned earlier. There's a lot of details I haven't got time to expand on, here (thanks to the instability of Qwest DSL), but the owner sublet the place a monthy or so ago to a friend of his, who's due to vacate at the end of March, which is conveniently the end of our current apt. lease. The universe has been giving us a lot of signs, lately, and I'm hoping it's not fucking with us. The nice thing is, we've got a second property in mind; not as wonderful as the first, but acceptable. My favorite things about it are 1) a big, dry basement, 2) a fireplace in one room of that big dry basement (there's a cool one in the LR, too), and 3) a three-car garage, one space with a service pit (!). This place runs about 55k less than the primo one. SO, cross fingers for us. In the meantime, I need to start preliminary drawings for the studio... :D
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Ultravibe: [b]offramp: Can I be nosy and ask what you'd have to drop for a place like that in Denver? A three car garage here means somewhere in AT LEAST the $300K - $350K range. And that is the extreme low end.[/b][/quote]Absolutely, I'm getting married next spring and we're both kinda peeking at real estate stuff from time-to-time. We're both tired of townhouse living so we wanna get a "real" house. Everything around here is $400K and up... Holy Schnykies!!!!
None more black.

Those in California: Get out while there is still hope. Those in Denver: Ditto. The economy there sucks and there real estate is beyond outrageous from what I hear from a friend of mine in Denver. Those in Maryland: If you work and need access to DC, you are just screwed. Real estate there is almost as bad as in California. If you work in Baltimore, you need to move North about 2 hours. Near the Pa border. Or in Pa. Many people in my town work in Baltimore. Quite a few have one person in the house working in Philly and the other in Baltimore. Better hurry, the real estate around here is about to skyrocket.
I really don't know what to put here.

'kay: House number 2 (second choice)at 6/10ths of an acre (who measures THAT exactly, anyway?) is being 'offered' at 249 with a 10k allowance for fixup. The place needs more than that. Much more. It is immediately habitable, though. Just needs a new kitchen; gorgeous hardwoods underneath nasty-ass sculptured carpet. It's been on the market since July. Owner died; she was the original owner. House built in 1937. House itself is kinda boring, but the neighborhood is beautiful and very remote-feeling without actually being remote. We could probably get it for 220. As for the Denver market sucking: Well, sure. But everywhere sucks right now. Now, if you're SELLING, yes, it sucks. Loudly. In stereo. If you're BUYING, well...we've got a killer upperhand, here. I'm doing okay right now, income-wise. Besides, I'm not going anywhere away from these mountains, unless it's someplace like Italy (which we've discussed). House number one is still our first choice. All those trees, the yard, the boxcar, the wells, the silence, the seclusion....aaaahhhhh.
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

[quote]Originally posted by Anifa: [b]So does your neighbor still race, or is that yet to come? [/b][/quote]No, but (geez, listening to what I say in writing ... it doesn't seem real).. ANYHOW, no, but one of her sons lives next door to her. He has - I kid you not, I may be able to take a picture of it tomorrow with my dad's digital camera I'm borrowing - and OFFICIAL Dale Earnhardt #3 NASCAR Pace Truck. Painted up like one of his stock cars. Which he reves up every morning before work. Man, how absurd is that? I wish I was making this stuff up! There is also enough rubber laid down at the stop sign in front of my house that her son could go drag racing there, anyhow... I don't know why, but it seems like everyone who has any sort of pathetic excuse of a V8 tries to burn rubber in front of my house constantly. I mean, sometimes it's completely absurd, it literally sounds like a racetrack outside. [b] Maybe you'll get lucky and the old Fire Chief behind you will have a hearing aid he can turn down,[/b] "Sure"..... [b] and he will have been visited by the Ghosts of Christmas Spirit and has adopted a new outlook on life :D [/QB] Ok, "sure".... I haven't had a drummer over yet. The tracking room (also know as a "dining room" to some people) seems to be pretty isolated, I've had a snare drum in here and you couldn't really hear it outside... but just wait... Did I mention the neighbors on the close side of my house have a poor kid who is autistic I think, who periodically screams in weird voices at random times? Their house is about... 10 feet adjacent to mine, and sometimes sounds over sound like they're inside my house. That's always fun. What's weird though - and I hope is good - is that my little "preliminary tests" with a friend banging said snare drum in the house, it seems like in this dining room it's keeping most of the sound inside. Sigh.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Sylver: Yeh, it sucks around DC right now. But the me is that I am able to do most minor repairs myself, from construction to electrical and plumbing, and have a cornucopia of friends that have their own businesses doidn that kind of stuff that all like me! Suckers! Seriously, I'm beginning to think that the solution is going to be getting something that has problems and just dealing with them until I can afford to fix them or move. I get more house at a lower price that way - usually. The quandry comes in trying to figure out all the problems that a house is going to have. I mean, I see water in the basement and I know it has that problem, but what other problems are hiding from me? Home buying is stressfull. Maybe I'll ask that guy who won Survivor: Thailand for a loan. I graduated with the jerkwad...
Andrew Mazzocchi

I don't know where the hell somebody just starting out can buy a house in Calif. Where do first-timers come up with 80grand for a down? Now I have talked recently to a good friend in Prescott Valley Arizona who got a brand new 1 acre 1800sf for 159k. Great place to live - a little snow in winter and mild temperatures for Arizona summers 'cuz you're up at 5,000 feet. Lots of jobs. Too bad I can't be away from the beach. Give me my seaside ghetto anytime.

Archived