Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sound Module Harware vs. Software?

simplytosuave

Alright, here's a dewsey. I am about to get a decent midi controller and I need advice on sounds. First I'm looking for a good piano. I think software would be most ideal for me in this scenario because I have two macs and software seems to be cheaper than be new hardware. This seems to be the case for all software. The only thing is that I don't know if software takes away from sound quality or not. If it does, then it would be worth it to get a good rack. I am also looking for a large variety of quality sounds (somewhat realer than general midi)For some reason, when I think about computer sounds, I think bright and cheasy. I could be wrong. How close am I to truth here for anyone who knows. And this might be a stretch of a question, but what are the best sound modules and/or the best sound module software and what are their pros and cons. Any advice is appreciated. Thanx
great day ; )

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd advise you to investigate soft stuff and make up your mind by trying things. For me, soft was the way to go, but for other people....

This is a good forum for balance. kvr-vst.com is all about soft synths. They even have a bunch of free stuff. Free would be a great way to investigate things.

BTW, what software host do you use (or plan to use)? That is a big decision.

David

Most softsynths require a maxed out computer, unless you enjoy latency and crashes. Also, if you are planning on performing live, dragging your MAC onstage won't be much fun.
When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

It really depends on what you want to do. As said, if you want to perform live, softsynths don't make much sense, but if you just want to use them for recording, it is much cheaper. Softsynths and hardware are almost on the the same level today, if your computer is good enough.

Whatever you decide, be sure you can return it if you are not happy. You won't know if you like it unless you live with it for a few days ... that's the problem, they won't lend you the software to test.

If you go the module route, make a deal ahead of time to be able to return it if you are not happy.

Post back when you've made your decision.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

My controller wont actually get here for another week (sl-2001), but when it does it looks like I am going to try out some software first. I have a friend that is going to let me try out Reason 2.5 which I figured would be a good risk free way to get my toes wet. However, the issue of needing a "maxed out computer" makes me somewhat nervous considering that I am only running a Mac all-in-one g3 500Mhz. I also have a powermac g4 450mhz that I could potentially run Reason on but I am not sure if either one of these qualify as "maxed out." How powerful does a computer have to be to avoid latency and crashes? If I have to spend $1500 on a new computer, I might as well spend $500 on sound module hardware right?
great day ; )

Well I have not used this software myself, but someone suggested I give it a look. It's postpiano.com - seems to have a great sound. Here are the requirements it had on the webpage.....

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

3 GB Free Hard Disc Space, DVD Drive, soundcard and midi interface or sequencer.

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM (for Native Instruments software)

Windows XP/ME/98, P4/Athlon 1.500 MHz, 1 GB RAM

Mac OS 9.2 or higher, G4 733, 1 GB MB RAM

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM (for sound library)

We recommend using a fast processor (2.8 GHz Pentium 4 or 1.8 GHz G5) and at least 1 GB of free RAM to optimize the performance of this sound module. To be able to run the piano without disk-streaming you need 2 GB or more. When disk-streaming is used 512 MB is sufficient but 1 GB is recommended.

COMPATIBILITY

WIN (VST®2.0, DXi2, ASIO, MME, Direct Sound, RTAS**)

MAC (VST®2.0, ASIO, Soundmanager, OMS, Audio Units**, Core Audio**, RTAS**)

**OSX RTAS support and OS X compatibility including support for Audio Units and Core Audio are available as a downloadable update from the EastWest website. EastWest support Page. RTAS update with DFD will be available as a free download. The Sound Library can also be loaded into KONTAKT version 1.5 and up, for even greater flexibility and more options for working with the sound material. KONTAKT 1.5 is compatible with MAC OS X.

Well I have not used this software myself, but someone suggested I give it a look. It's postpiano.com - seems to have a great sound. Here are the requirements it had on the webpage.....

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

3 GB Free Hard Disc Space, DVD Drive, soundcard and midi interface or sequencer.

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM (for Native Instruments software)

Windows XP/ME/98, P4/Athlon 1.500 MHz, 1 GB RAM

Mac OS 9.2 or higher, G4 733, 1 GB MB RAM

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM (for sound library)

We recommend using a fast processor (2.8 GHz Pentium 4 or 1.8 GHz G5) and at least 1 GB of free RAM to optimize the performance of this sound module. To be able to run the piano without disk-streaming you need 2 GB or more. When disk-streaming is used 512 MB is sufficient but 1 GB is recommended.

COMPATIBILITY

WIN (VST®2.0, DXi2, ASIO, MME, Direct Sound, RTAS**)

MAC (VST®2.0, ASIO, Soundmanager, OMS, Audio Units**, Core Audio**, RTAS**)

**OSX RTAS support and OS X compatibility including support for Audio Units and Core Audio are available as a downloadable update from the EastWest website. EastWest support Page. RTAS update with DFD will be available as a free download. The Sound Library can also be loaded into KONTAKT version 1.5 and up, for even greater flexibility and more options for working with the sound material. KONTAKT 1.5 is compatible with MAC OS X.

Archived