Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Broken key on Roland Rd700

jfhyde

I was carrying the Rd700 and just caught a key tip on a door, breaking the tip and leaving a jagged edge. Does anyone know where I could order the key from, and if its possible to do the job at home. Any help will be appreciated, I gig with this regularly.

John

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi neighbor,

Call Customer Service at (323)8903700 and ask for replacement parts. Tell them the keyboard model and which key you need. I think it takes ten days for delivery. You'll be able to replace it yourself.

Contact me if you need help replacing it.

Regards,

Carlos

I've replaced keys on my A-80 and I had to remove the keyboard bed and push a round button on the underside of the keyboard assembly. You will be able to do the job yourself, but you might feel better if you have someone else next to you giving you a hand.

With the A-80 I was supposed to have a special tool to pop out the key, but I managed to do it without. Keep us posted.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I had to replace two keys on my old JD800.. The keys were cheap enough (about £3.00 each I guess), and the job of fitting was really easy (at least I found it easy to do).

Now, what you DON'T want to do is replace a key on a Korg (I did my 01/Wfd). What a nightmare...!

Roland's seem to be built for easy access/maintenance, whereas Korg's aren't.

Hey, thanks alot guys, just got off the phone and ordered a new key, $3.40 and no shipping costs!! At that price I was tempted to buy a whole set...

He said I should receive the key in 7 to 10 days...

Originally posted by jfhyde:

Hey, thanks alot guys, just got off the phone and ordered a new key, $3.40 and no shipping costs!! At that price I was tempted to buy a whole set...

He said I should receive the key in 7 to 10 days...

While I waited for a key to arrive, I moved the broken key to the end of the keyboard that saw less use. If you need to play a job while you wait for the key to arrive, you might want to move it a few octaves away if that would make the job easier to play.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Now, what you DON'T want to do is replace a key on a Korg (I did my 01/Wfd). What a nightmare...!

I replaced a broken key on my Z1 when it was first delivered. Also replaced the entire keybed on my Cx-3 with a newer "waterfall" keybed and it came with a broken upper C key. I just got the new key a couple of weeks ago but had krazy glued the broken one. I've also had to remove keys on the Wavestation to fix the metal flex thingy. You have to remove stuff(Pc boards, cables etc) to get to the keybed on all these Korgs but a "nightmare"? Nah (IMO).

Well, compared to the Roland where you simply undo a few screws and the whole compartment is hinged, ready to lift, allowing you immediate access to the keyboard...

IMO, removing circuitry and cables, and MORE screws is a nightmare! :)

Originally posted by Andym0908:

I think maybe I'm one of these guys who will take out 12 screws and only put back 5!!

Maybe I'm my own disassembling nightmare!?!?! :)

Hehe!

Video tape yourself and play the tape backwards when you're finished.

I take everything apart when I buy it. I've only come across a few items that were not made to be taken apart. I was amzed how much wasted space was in my home stereo CD player. They could have made the CD player slighly larger than a Discman if they had wanted.

I guess keys on the whole can be pretty durable. I think it's the mechanism that would tend to go first...

My [Korg] 01/Wfd needs work now.. I need the whole set re-greased, or whatever it is, and springs replaced. Anyone know how much Korg would charge for this... someone once told me it was about £60-70

While I waited for a key to arrive, I moved the broken key to the end of the keyboard that saw less use. If you need to play a job while you wait for the key to arrive, you might want to move it a few octaves away if that would make the job easier to play.

I hadn't thought about doing that, even though I really should for tomorow. I didn't want to have to open up the keyboard more than once. Mebbe, I'll try it in the morning, you guys gonna be around if I need help?????

Originally posted by jfhyde:

I hadn't thought about doing that, even though I really should for tomorow. I didn't want to have to open up the keyboard more than once. Mebbe, I'll try it in the morning, you guys gonna be around if I need help?????
Go ahead, take it apart ... at some time in the future you'll have to replace the memory battery and you'll feel a little better having this experience under your belt.

Archived