Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Logic audio instruments get stuck?

Superbobus

Boy, the Emagic EV stuff is big fun! Too bad they act a little too vintage. Some of the notes I'm playing get stuck... E.g. an F keeps on sustaining, also when I hit it again. It's especially annoying with the EVB3 Is it because of the demo status I'm still in or is it my FW410 or MIDI?

The problem occurs with the CS6x connected to the FW410, not with my Evolution USB MIDI controller, but two octaves is not that great to play in.

http://www.bobwijnen.nl

Hipness is not a state of mind, it's a fact of life.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the Firewire 410 with Logic Audio 6.3.3 on a dual 1.2 ghz G4, and have quirky things happen: the Mac fails to recognize the interface after working for several hours (I compose for a living, and work many days for 14 hours), the program crashes, midi stops working reliably, etc. I think it is related to the fact that I have other firewire devices on the same machine, and the FW410 doesn't like that. M-Audio has been excellent in emailing me with suggestions, but recently the workload was so heavy I had to stop trying all their test suggestions and get to work! The thing I found to work the best was to run the installer for the latest driver, do the uninstall, and reinstall the driver. That fixed the midi problems (although sometimes it wipes out my Audio-Midi Setup), and corrects the audio as well. I put my other firewire drives on the FW800 port with a FW400 to 800 adaptor cable, and that allows all the drives to show up on startup without having to turn them on in a specific order. But, alas, the driver corrupts and I have to reinstall. The unit sounds beautiful, and I'm sure they will come up with a stable driver.

Bob, do you use an external digital clock? I use the Emu e6400's clock as the master quite frequently. The driver seems to last longer when I go with Logic's internal clock.

Anyway, good luck with this!

Roger

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

No external clock here.

Watch out with un and reinstalling the FW410. There will be files left on your HD and on my iBook all of this un and reinstalling caused kernel panics. An uninstall and thorough searching for M-audio stuff (com.m-audio.plist for instance) and then reinstalling was the cure.

Still no luck with the FW410, guess I keep my MT4 for a while.

You're right about the search for M-Audio "remnants", Bob; I forgot to mention that. Most times I do that, and others left it out when I thought I didn't have time. After uninstalling, etc. for a second time I learned to slow down! Have you tried trashing the Logic prefs?

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

Maybe I do that, but I find it very convenient using the MT4. Extra MIDI ports are a good thing. The FW410 is used for sound only and everything seems to work fine. The problem starts when I'm using the FW410's MIDI ports, screw 'em...

BTW, do I always have to connect that XSkey? That's one USB port less! :eek:

Originally posted by Superbobus:

Originally posted by steadyb:

Originally posted by Superbobus:

BTW, do I always have to connect that XSkey?

yes.
I hate to say it, but that sucks! How to waste your USB ports...
sorry.

I hate to say it, but that sucks! How to waste your USB ports...
In the Bad Old Days of PC Logic, before USB, the dongle took up a serial port, which meant you sacrificed an entire precious IRQ to that dongle.

Enjoy your Royale with cheese. And don't forget your watch.

OK... no luck with the new driver. It even panicked while booting up Logic. Went back to the MT4 and changed my MIDI settings back to that one and everything's fine. I'm seriously doubting about M-audio ability to make usable drivers.

Looks like God heard my message. Again a new M-audio update! We shall see...

Archived