Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

newbie question: cs6x, xp-30, rs-50 or others?

fai

hi to everyone, i used to play bass and am new to synths (only have piano experience). i am going to buy my very first synth and spent some days on searching for infos about different boards, and found that boards like cs6x(used), xp30 or rs50 suit my budget. i found that the rs50 doesn't have aftertouch, does it make a big difference while playing (like piano?).

i think any of those synths would spend me some time to get used to and will give me a lot of fun, but i don't know whether my comparison is sensible? or is there any other models that i have missed? i think boards like motif or triton will be better but they are too expensive and too advanced for me :)

suggestions are welcome, thx in advance.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll need a period of adjustement to switch from piano to a synth keyboard... Not difficult, but you'll have to learn to not hit the keys too hard. :)

All three synths in your list are pretty good; maybe I would exclude the RS, just because you could need aftertouch sooner or later.

Maybe I would choose the Yamaha CS6x, because it sounds a bit better to my ears than the Rolands. Plus, you can expand later with analog modeling, phisycal modeling or FM synth cards, which have their own polyphony and program banks. The Yamaha also have left-hand wheels, which I much prefer to the Roland stick for left-hand controls.

I don't know about the availability in your country, but you could also consider a Kurzweil KME-61, an E-mu PK6, or an used Korg Trinity or even a Triton LE.

Archived