Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GEM Promega 3

hermanjoe

Anyone played one of these? I have read some great things about them on Harmony-Central. Even heard rumors Herbie Hancock plays one. Problem is they have direct sales so you can't really try one...

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't own the Promega, but I have played it several times, and I must say that I love it.

My impressions:

Excellent keyboard

Top-notch piano sounds,and exceptional 'connection' between keys and sound.

The other onboard sounds vary a bit in quality, from terrific to so-so, but generally better than the 'other' sounds in the most popular digital pianos. Plus, you have four layerable sections, without losing polyphony. In particular, I like the EPs, clavs, brass, pads, vibes, but I don't care too much for the organs, synths and bass sounds.

Immediacy of programming is fantastic: Motorized faders! Plus graphic EQ on the front panel. One knob/button/slider per function.

The only negative I can notice is the weight: It's heavy.

Of course, I would not advice buying it without trying it beforehand. Especially the keyboard feel is a matter of personal preference, and that varies a lot among players.

Originally posted by marino:

I don't own the Promega, but I have played it several times, and I must say that I love it.

My impressions:

Excellent keyboard

Top-notch piano sounds,and exceptional 'connection' between keys and sound.

The other onboard sounds vary a bit in quality, from terrific to so-so, but generally better than the 'other' sounds in the most popular digital pianos. Plus, you have four layerable sections, without losing polyphony. In particular, I like the EPs, clavs, brass, pads, vibes, but I don't care too much for the organs, synths and bass sounds.

Immediacy of programming is fantastic: Motorized faders! Plus graphic EQ on the front panel. One knob/button/slider per function.

The only negative I can notice is the weight: It's heavy.

Of course, I would not advice buying it without trying it beforehand. Especially the keyboard feel is a matter of personal preference, and that varies a lot among players.

Have you had chance to compare one to an S90? That seems to be the default oprion for me for my next weighted 88, but perhaps I should make sure I look at a promega as well. Wish they were more widely accessible to try.

Originally posted by hermanjoe:

Anyone played one of these? I have read some great things about them on Harmony-Central. Even heard rumors Herbie Hancock plays one. Problem is they have direct sales so you can't really try one...

I've got a dealer 3 miles away. I think they feel and sound absolutely fantastic. The review on Keyboard was spot-on.

"For instance" is not proof.

What month of keyboard was that review you mention? I would like to check it out. In responce to a previous reply. I have checked out the Yah S-90. I like it. The feel is good, and the sounds are great. I am also looking into trying a Kurz. I hear their vintage keyboard collection is the best. I am more of a player so I only use a handful of keyboard sounds. Mainly rhodes and piano.

-Charlie Parker

Originally posted by hermanjoe:

What month of keyboard was that review you mention? I would like to check it out.

Not sure what month, but it had Rick Wakeman on the cover.

"For instance" is not proof.

The S90 have lots more onboard sounds than the Promega. However, I think the Promega has the edge for playability and acoustic piano sound.

The keyboard is excellent on both instrument, IMO.

Also...

"Rock Wakeman"?! Rick would be proud of the nickname... :D

I have searched the keyboard mag archives and have had no luck in finding a review on the Promega 3. I am also in search of a dealer in the greater Boston, MA area. If anyone has any infot that would be great.

-Charlie Parker

OK. The review is on the November 2002 issue of Keyboard magazine. Rick Wakeman is on the cover, prominently playing... the Promega!

BTW - the street price is *much* lower than the $2995 mentioned by the magazine. I've seen it running for $1800 or so. This is in Europe, however - I don't know about the USA.

Originally posted by marino:

BTW - the street price is *much* lower than the $2995 mentioned by the magazine. I've seen it running for $1800 or so. This is in Europe, however - I don't know about the USA.

Perhaps the fact that you live in the country in which it's manufactured has some effect on the pricing you're seeing... ;)

I, too, have played the Pro Mega. I, too, think it sounds and feels great. I also think the interface kicks ass. Totally simple...to look at it is to pretty much completely understand it. I love that...

They've made excellent instruments for years, but they've never managed to have a big hit (not in the US, anyway). Their choice to use the name "General Music" really hurts them, IMO. I think using their GEM name would be a much better move.

Their association with Peavey may not have been the best plan either... :eek:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I get the impression that unit is much more popular in Europe. I've never seen one in any store here in the US--like Sam Ash or Guitar Center.

From what I've read online, the keyboards are loaded with great features, be nice to try one out. I do agree that "General Music" is a poor choice for a name. It sounds very "K-Martish."

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I had to go look this critter up.. I worked with a guy who had a Peavey endorsement and was given a GEM Equinox 88 to use. Frankly, the keybed wasn't particularly good and all the sounds had a gauzey film over them.

I was afraid that the Promega line was a continuation of that design. Glad to see it isn't.

k.

I played the Herbie Hancock signature Promega 3 at NAMM and have to say it was the most fun I've had playing a digital keyboard, maybe ever. It was the Rhodes patch in the right and a bass patch in the left that killed me. The Rhodes, I think it's modeled, had a really exaggerated dynamic range and you could get it to just pop notes out big time when hit hard. Very expressive. I didn't spend a lot of time on the other sounds and NAMM is horrible for auditioning any way.

Busch.

I have the feeling if I could try one, I'd be sold. But I wouldn't want to shell out 2 grand for something I haven't tried.

Anyone know a dealer in the Boston. MA area?

-Charlie Parker

Hi,

I do own a Promega 2, and I can tell you that it is a fantastic keyboard. The Promega 3 is even better. I just didn't like its retro look much.

The main difference in the Promega and every other keyboard is that it utilizes physical modeling instead of straight sampling. The problem with sampling is that a real piano reacts with itself. For instance, if you hold down a C and play a G on a real piano, a harmonic rings because of the sympathetic vibration. A sample can never duplicate this, but my Promega does. This makes for a far more realistic piano experience. If you have specific questions about the Promega, I'm happy to answer.

NeoDavinci

Main main use for the Promega 3 would be as a stage piano. Mainly rhodes, and acoustic piano sounds. I often like to layer the piano with strings, rhodes with synth or various combinations. That's pretty much it. I use a Korg cx-3 organ, and a Korg Karma for the rest. So I basically need a kick-ass stage piano with great feel and the most realistic sounds available. I use a roland a-90 for that right now. The controller aspects are good but I need something with superior sound.

Thanks

-Charlie Parker

I tried one of these recently here in London (turnkey.co.uk have one).

I didn't know what to make of it, as it sat in the corner looking like 70's throwback. I never really took to GEM, in favour of Korg's and Rolands. But... I gave it a try!

I must say I loved the feel of the keyboard action, very responsive, and the piano patch (which I guess was the first patch as I switched it on), sounded fantastic.

Unfortunately, I spent more time pressing buttons in order to watch the motorised faders move, than trying other sounds!!!

I can't imagine the flightcase needed for one of these...

Anyway, to summise: I really liked it, the feel, the sound quality, the layout of the controls. Not quite a board I would go for, visually (I'm more an A80/A90 main keyboard kinda guy!).

It's priced at around £1,599 here in the UK I think.

I can't find the General Music stuff anywhere near me in order to play it. I understand that the Baldwin Pianovelle (e.g., their pRP8 model) uses some General Music guts - does anyone know any more about these? (Pianovelle is at least available in the US, though generally only through acoustic piano dealers and not usually through electronic music instrument stores.)

Chaso

In case anyone hasn't already checked it out,

there's a bunch of info at

General Music's US (distributor) website:

http://www.generalmusic.us

It's fairly comprehensive and makes a good effort at answering

any questions one may have about their outfit and products.

Give it time to load properly,

and be sure to peruse their forum(s).

(Hint: on the "Show Topics" menu, click on "All")

Scratch my last response - Pianovelle is no longer. Despite the agreement with GEM in the late nineties, Baldwin is now no longer making or selling electronic pianos. But I think I am the only one who cares about poor old Baldwin...

I checked out the GeneralMusic US website, which is really neat. But geeze where the heck can you play one of these things? Anyone in the NYC area have an idea? I'm waiting for a response from the (finnicky) website dealer locator...

Chaso

I've gotten no response from GeneralMusic US regarding dealers. At this point, even if I found the product somewhere, I don't think I could trust this company enough to buy something from them - could you imagine trying to get service? It seems like one of these situations where they're just not quite ready to go in this country (USA) yet. So nothing against the parent company - if I was in Italy maybe things would be totally different, and maybe in my country things will improve for them soon...

I actually found a dealer!! I had to speacial order the promega 3, but It should arrive withing a few weeks. Thanks to everyone who gave input on this board. I hope its all it's said to be. I'll keep you all updated.

By the way the dealer is Wurlitzer Music and Sound in Boston, MA. In case anyone needs to know.

-Charlie Parker

I trust the guy who sold it to me, and I'm sure there is a warranty. There is also a great local repair place near me that does great work on pretty much everything.

I got the board for $2,200 plus tax, which is a great deal.

I'll be sure to give you guys a review when I get my hands on this thing!!

-Charlie Parker

I just want to join the praisechoir.

I been using a promega 3 for a year now and it is a superb keyboard for piano and steely dan-ish style rhodes.

BUT:

Be sure you get the latest upgraded mainboard. I've had the promega crash on me 2 times this year, before I got the upgraded board. I guess GEM is to small and young to get everything right the first time.

My dealer said to me: "Never order anything 1.0 from and Italian company. Wait until they got the mistakes sorted out".

Now, please don't flame me for being anti-italian. This isn't my statement, it's the statement of someone who has been dealing with italian manufacturers for years. Besides I'll guess this is true for a lot of small companies.

AND, the strings, rock organs and pads and brass are NOT GOOD. In fact, they are BAD. But the piano, rhodes and clav more than makes up for it. The basses are also excellent. And, it has great effects, both reverb and other.

If you want a great piano sound, it's a no brainer actually. I even play Classical music on it with great Joy.

Think before you think before you speak

Archived