Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"fast" drumloops

Togakure99

How the hell do you go about getting that "jungle" drum type sound, really fast, but it's like the actual hits all sound the same, but different. Anyone know what the hell I mean? Some examples:

Example 1 - clip from "The Gene Machine" from the album "Frameshift" (http://frameshift.progrockrecords.com/)

Example 2 - clip from "Industrial Heist" by Kristopher Carter for the Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker soundtrack. Cool shit by this guy.

Anyone know what I'm after here and can provide tips? I have no idea how to go about getting a sound similar to this. :(

Brett G.

Hall Piano Company, Inc.

Metairie, Louisiana

Kurzweil Keyboard Dept. Manager

"My dream is to have sex in odd time signatures." - J. Rudess

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a few tips.

1) The jungle-sounding drum originated as regular drum loops that were pitch shifted either by speeding up vinyl or a simple sample transposition without formant control. Samplers, ACID, and DAW's these days can speed up a section of audio without changing the pitch. This is undesirable for this purpose. What sounds like a chipmunk on a vocal sample becomes a jungly, frantic, all-high-end beat on a drum loop.

2) Also, in the first example, there is a filter that is pumping to the beat. You definitely would want to apply some lowpass filtering to acheive this effect. If you don't know what I mean by filtering, post here, and I (or a couple hundred more qualified Keyboard Corner Denizens) will post a quick definition.

3) If you don't have a DAW and want to simulate this without sampling, you need to get the pattern going on your drum machine, eq the low end and a bit of the high end completely out of it, and then apply the filter and possibly some distortion. The second example is a TR-909 being overdriven, either by overloading the input channel or running it through a tube pre (actually, knowing 909's, it could just be overdriving on its own :D ). Or, of course, it's just a sample.

4) You could also get one of the hundreds of jungle loop cd's out there. Even if you don't want to use generic samples, you may learn a bit by loading them into your sampler and tuning them way down to hear the actual drum pattern.

"For instance" is not proof.

Good ideas. :D

I had actually figured it was a regular drum beat that was filtered, either lowpass with lots of resonance or highpassed as they usually don't have much bottom end in them. I just don't know how to modulate that filter to give it that driving feel. I guess I should modulate the cutoff so that it's higher on the stronger beats? :confused:

The stuff is so damn fast it's hard to tell what's going on, but it sounds cool. :D

Brett G.

Hall Piano Company, Inc.

Metairie, Louisiana

Kurzweil Keyboard Dept. Manager

"My dream is to have sex in odd time signatures." - J. Rudess

If I may, I would also suggest playing around with a compressor to sharpen the attack and decay of the beats. In fact this may be one of those cases that "over compression" which creates a pulsing effect may take oyu inthe right direction.

Andy

The Magician

Archived