Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any requests for the Keyboard Mag Librarian?

eric

Hey folks,

As many of you know, I have almost every issue of Keyboard Magazine ever published. This is a handy resource and I like to share it.

I've tried to do my part being the "Forum Keyboard Magazine Librarian" and would like to reiterate my standing offer to provide anyone with article scans they need from out-of-print Keyboard magazines. I think I've helped out about a dozen people (including Keyboard Mag Editors!) and am glad to continue doing it. Just post your request and I'll try to find what you need in my archives.

Regards,

Eric

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eric - thanks a million for your offer. Yeah, there is a Keyboard article I've always wished to read... It's the cover story they did on Glenn Gould. It was from the '70 I believe, but I've never been able to locate that issue. I know Gould is on the cover, however.

If you could send me a scan of that article, I'd be reeeeally grateful!! :D

My email: carmez@tin.it

Needless to say, I'm not in a hurry at all... :)

Many thanks in advance!

Carlo

It's the cover story they did on Glenn Gould. It was from the '70 I believe, but I've never been able to locate that issue. I know Gould is on the cover, however.

If you could send me a scan of that article, I'd be reeeeally grateful!!

Carlo,

Consider it done. I just found the issue. August 1980. I will scan it and email it to you.

Regards,

Eric

I'd like to request the articles that mention the comp CDs we've done. I'd go farther to state that I'd permanently host said scans on my site (not publicly linked or anything), for any forum member that wanted to read them. If you can't do PDF, I can, so no worries about the format. High res TIFF would even work.

llarion at llarion dot com. :)

TIA!!!

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

I'd like to request the articles that mention the comp CDs we've done.
I'll be glad to get these for you - any idea HOW MANY I might be looking for in the collection? I remember reading at least one article in the past year, but not sure how far to look and where in the magazines they were. If anyone can let me know the dates, that would be a helpful starting point.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi Eric, thanks for offering to do this for everyone.

I've always wondered about Mark Parrish, the keyboardist for the Dixie Dregs on the "What If" album (1978, me thinks) and "Night of the Living Dregs". Any chance of finding some info on him?

Thanks a lot!

Hi Eric! :wave:

(My brother in name/ name brother... do you say that in the US?)

This is very generous of you the be the "Liberian man". There is one article I really would like to read. (And see the scores if there are any.) My keyboard mag collection only goes back to 1990... My "request" is from the February 1984 cover story "Lead synthesizer" where some of my favorite keyboard players talk about soloing and broke down some synth solos. (My favorites of those are George Duke, David Paich and Steve Porcaro.)

thanks

Hi Eric! :wave:

(My brother in name/ name brother... do you say that in the US?)

This is very generous of you the be the "Liberian man". There is one article I really would like to read. (And see the scores if there are any.) My keyboard mag collection only goes back to 1990... My "request" is from the February 1984 cover story "Lead synthesizer" where some of my favorite keyboard players talk about soloing and broke down some synth solos. (My favorites of those are George Duke, David Paich and Steve Porcaro.)

thanks

Hey Eric,

Thanks in advance for your hard work...just for that, you get free membership to this forum! (hey, you have that already!) :P

Would you have the VERY FIRST issue of keyboard, where they interviewed Chick Corea?? If you could send me that Chick Corea article, I'd be really greatful. My email is AnalogMan1@aol.com

Thanks for all of your contributions, both at this forum and the Clonewheel Yahoo group.

Tom :wave:

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Originally posted by eric:

I'd like to request the articles that mention the comp CDs we've done.
I'll be glad to get these for you - any idea HOW MANY I might be looking for in the collection? I remember reading at least one article in the past year, but not sure how far to look and where in the magazines they were. If anyone can let me know the dates, that would be a helpful starting point.

Thanks,

Eric

I'm pretty sure there are two; one of the originals and one of the covers... I can't for the life of me remember exaclty when. Our esteemed High King, Grand Overlord, ThunderFingers and Chief Bottle-Washer may have some more exact data... :)

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

I'll work on the new requests tonight. I do better if I have a specific request for "this artist on the cover" or "the Nov 78 issue" or something like this. Unfortunately, there is no consolidated index of all the Keyboard Mag articles, though the mag did keep a yearly index for awhile.

So if you ask me to research an artist or gear that may or may not have been in Keyboard Mag, my turnaround time might be longer as I leaf through old issues.

Keep the requests coming! I'm happy to help you folks with this.

Regards,

Eric

Here is the status of today's requests:

Llarion: I found one article in the Aug 2003 In Review section, which is the Beatles Covers CD done by the Keyboard Corner. It is on the way to you.

Analog Man: Sept 1975 issue - Chick Corea - on the way to you.

EricG: Found the Feb 1984 issue about Lead Synth and scanned the article. I just need your email address and it is on the way.

Odyssian: I looked through 1978 through 1980 issues and found nothing on Mike Parrish from the Dregs. Not sure they ever covered him.

Regards,

Eric

This is a very nice offer you're making!

I'd personally love to see items re: a number of artists/subjects but first I have a thought for you. As you "leaf through back issues" (& try to get on with your own day-to-day life), perhaps it would be worthwhile to construct an issue-by-issue list of articles, lessons, equipment reviews, etc.

This would be a wonderful way to track info (& since it would be a benefit to this site as well, perhaps they could give you some support/assistance...).

I notice that you mention helping KBoard editors---do even they have no comprehensive database of the mag's material?

I'd personally love to see items re: a number of artists/subjects but first I have a thought for you. As you "leaf through back issues" (& try to get on with your own day-to-day life), perhaps it would be worthwhile to construct an issue-by-issue list of articles, lessons, equipment reviews, etc.
This is something I've actually had on my "rainy day to-do list" for a couple of years, because every time I want to go dig up an old article, it requires that I leaf through years of magazines, one by one.

It would take a tremendous amount of time to do this and I don't foresee having this kind of time available to me in the foreseeable future. Perhaps I can do it incrementally, starting with just the cover stories month by month and build on that.

I notice that you mention helping KBoard editors---do even they have no comprehensive database of the mag's material?
I'm not sure they have all of them. Ernie Rideout needed an old article on Oscar Peterson, which I provided. So my guess is that they probably have most of them, but maybe not an exhaustive library?

Regards,

Eric

Yes, that's a big task...but what's your alternative? To search semi-randomly?

I'd suggest a list/data base that subdivides the types of articles/lessons/etc. per issue...

I'm really surprised there's not a corporate collection at KB headquarters. Maybe you could get hired to construct a data base for them!

But in any case you're a truly helpful individual & we all hope you're here to help us for a long, long time! ;)

i foolishly dumped my Keyboard collection a while ago.

there's one article i'd like to re-read (i know -get the back issue), but i don't even know which one it was.

it was a sort of 'shootout' article between several then-relatively new VA's, and they were all pictured on the cover. (maybe 5 or 6 years ago?).

anyways, i haven't clue where to look for it.

Yes, that's a big task...but what's your alternative? To search semi-randomly? I'd suggest a list/data base that subdivides the types of articles/lessons/etc. per issue...

The alternative that I have suggested to forum members with requests is to try and narrow it down to make my search less random. If you can tell me the month, or the cover story or take a guess at where you saw it, I can usually deduce the article's location. I've read each and every Keyboard Mag in my collection from cover to cover at some point, so my memory can sometimes help me with this. I agree that a database is the optimum solution, but I'll take my "semi-random" approach for now!

I'm really surprised there's not a corporate collection at KB headquarters. Maybe you could get hired to construct a data base for them!
That would be cool! I think that an Index has been an ongoing struggle or just a low priority for Keyboard. I even remember reading an issue that said they had dropped it for a couple of years and it was a time-consuming process to bring it back (this was back in the mid-90's).

it was a sort of 'shootout' article between several then-relatively new VA's, and they were all pictured on the cover.
Mildbill: I have this issue. If you will send me a PM with your email address, I will send it to you. It was a cover story called "Analog Heaven" from 1999.

Regards,

Eric

• 11 years later...

I have every issue too and had the Keyboard mag indexes that appears in various issues over the years that helped me find various articles. But they stopped doing it after a while so I've begun doing my own indexing on my computer. The youngmonkey index is a good help.

Kudos to Eric the "Librarian!"

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Hmm...maybe the work to make an index could be crowdsourced? If I had an .xls with an example format, and a whole year's worth of scanned .pdfs, I'd be happy to break apart that year into sub-.pdf's and fill out the .xls as a database for that year. Forty years = forty volunteers...

.xls? Google Spreadsheet even.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Archived