Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland XP-60 foot pedal question

manincognito

I just recently started using my XP-60 playing in a band. There are a couple of songs in which I am playing guitar, but will play one note and hold it through a chorus or a verse. Right now I have coordiate a hammer-on with the left hand on the neck and use my right hand to hit the note on the keyboard and hold it out with the hold pedal. My question is can I program one of the four pedal controllers to play one note (let's say an F#) when I hit a pedal like I am holding down a keyboard key?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The regular pedal inputs to the XP60 send continuous controller messages. To fire up a note you need a note-on midi message.

I think your alternatives are:

- Get a pedal board system (e.g. the Behringer FCB1010) which allows you send note-ons.

- Program a sequence into your XP60 with the notes you need. Then set one of the (pedal 1 or 2) inputs to listen for midi controller #100 (Sequencer start/stop). This will fire up the sequence when you step on the pedal. The sequence can be one note long if you like.

There may be other ways to do it as well.

Best,

Jerry

Originally posted by manincognito:

Thanks Jerry,

You mention "The regular pedal inputs to the XP60 send continuous controller messages. To fire up a note you need a note-on midi message."

Do you have any insight on how you might do that on the XP-60?

Yes. :D

I thought I just told you two ways to do it. :freak:

Best,

Jerry

Originally posted by manincognito:

I guess I wasn't specific enough...I meant do you know the step to make something like that work i.e. look at menu X and change parameter Y to get it to do Z.

Ok Here goes:

- Get a pedal board system (e.g. the Behringer FCB1010) which allows you send note-ons.

With this method you would read the manual of the device you purchase, then do what it says.

- Program a sequence into your XP60 with the notes you need. Then set one of the (pedal 1 or 2) inputs to listen for midi controller #100 (Sequencer start/stop). This will fire up the sequence when you step on the pedal. The sequence can be one note long if you like.

On this one I'll go item by item:

Program a sequence into your XP60 with the notes you need. Program whatever your right hand is doing into a sequence. Activate the sequencer function of your XP60, record then play back. Once you figured that out, you are ready to move to the next step. (Oh, and you may need to read the manual.) Don't forget to save your sequence.

Then set one of the (pedal 1 or 2) inputs to listen for midi controller #100 (Sequencer start/stop).

In the system menu, scroll to the right till you find "control" page and then scroll down till you find the control for (for example) pedal1. It may be set to CC01 modulation or something similar. Use the wheel to scroll up to CC100 Start/Stop. This way when evey you pres the pedal, the sequence you have programmed will start or stop.

(You shouldn't have to read the manual for this.)

Best,

Jerry

Archived