Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ok, i moved my nearfields slightly

after the nearfield theory thread got me thinking, i did some experimenting last night. i moved the nearfields 3 inches closer (each, so 6 inches closer total). this small move actually improved imaging ten-fold. didnt change the freq response, but the imaging is a hellofalot better. i am no expert, so i wonder why this happened. anyway i like it, and i will continue to try slightly different locations until i drive myself crazy.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by TheCoasterBergerTown: [b]after the nearfield theory thread got me thinking, i did some experimenting last night. i moved the nearfields 3 inches closer (each, so 6 inches closer total). this small move actually improved imaging ten-fold. didnt change the freq response, but the imaging is a hellofalot better. i am no expert, so i wonder why this happened. anyway i like it, and i will continue to try slightly different locations until i drive myself crazy.[/b][/quote]As stated in the other thread - "Discrete HF reflections are a dominant factor in small rooms with low reverberation times (lets say a 3K cubic feet studio). They are most often audible as comb filters (uneven HF response) and give a distant and “smeary” character to the sound. Sound reflections can occur from side wall, rear walls, furniture, video monitors, mixing consoles, or any other large surface within the path of the speakers’ radiation." Even relatively small changes in position will change the angle of incidence to a reflective surface and either worsen or improve imaging. The imaging of your speakers probably got better because the reflections off of X boundary have been reduced or the direction of the reflection is away from the monitoring area. If you want to experiment with really changing the frequency response, move your speakers into the corner and see what happens (very poor imaging, but probably much more LF). Have fun experimenting.

Pascal Sijen

Co-Founer

www.abluesky.com

Archived