Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: turning on/off monitors

Togakure99

I just got another pair of Behringer Truth monitors (after having to return my first pair from blowing the power amp and tweeter of one when turning them on).

I find that on this pair, everytime I turn them on, I get a nice loud pop. It's mostly from the woofers as I can visibly see them "jump". I'm afraid I blow these speakers too, from the simple act of turning them on. :eek:

My understanding was that these speakers had limiting circuitry designed to prevent things just like this from happening. This time I'm turning them on last, after my K2600 and MOTU 828 mkII. Yet I'm still getting a rather scary pop out of them. :confused:

Any idea on why they do this, if this is normal, or what I'm doing wrong that they are doing this? I'm afraid to ruin this pair again.

Brett G.

Hall Piano Company, Inc.

Metairie, Louisiana

Kurzweil Keyboard Dept. Manager

"My dream is to have sex in odd time signatures." - J. Rudess

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do have a "power mode" switch with the settings of On/Auto/Off. Off and On seem self-explanatory. In Auto power mode, the monitors turn themselves off after not receiving a signal for 5 minutes. Upon receiving a signal, they turn back on. It usually takes them about 30 seconds to come back on. I thought it would have been faster than that... at any rate, when they come back on from being Auto off-ed, there is no pop, they just start making sound again.

So maybe I should leave the actual power switch on all the time, and turn them off using the power mode switch, or maybe just let them auto turn off themselves? That just seems strange to me.

I do have the input trim knob turned to 0 db for normal use. According to the manual, this is what it should be set to. I'll play with the power mode switch and see if that would be the best way to go. Any other thoughts?

(It was my impression that these had limiting circuitry to prevent this kind of stuff in the first place, which is why I was really surprised that my first pair blew a tweeter and had the corresponding power amp inside start to heat up to untouchable levels.) :freak:

Brett G.

Hall Piano Company, Inc.

Metairie, Louisiana

Originally posted by Togakure:

So maybe I should leave the actual power switch on all the time, and turn them off using the power mode switch, or maybe just let them auto turn off themselves? That just seems strange to me.

Do that. It's not strange at all. I never turn my monitors off - just to standby when I'm not using them.

It was my impression that these had limiting circuitry to prevent this kind of stuff in the first place, which is why I was really surprised that my first pair blew a tweeter and had the corresponding power amp inside start to heat up to untouchable levels.) :freak:
If they're heating up to untouchable levels, I'm guessing something may be really wrong. I believe that part of UL certification (assuming they're UL certified) is that you should always be able to rest your hand on the unit in question.

Also, I'm not sure they should be popping the way that you're describing when you turn them on. Does every pair of Behringer monitors do that?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Ok, I think I figured it out. I'll just leave them on all the time and let them go into "standby" mode and power themselves back up when I start playing. Using the switch on the back from On to Auto to Off there's no pop. I don't remember my last pair popping like that from normal powerup from the main switch.

The last pair I had apparently got blown in someway. After that scary pop, I noticed I wasn't getting any highs at all from my right speaker, so I inspected it for a few minutes and eventually reached around to touch the back panel and check the controls, and that's when I noticed it was hot as hell. Whatever blew it must have fried something in the power amp and caused it to start overheating; they don't normally run hot like that.

I guess that settles that. Standby it is. :) Thanks guys. :thu:

Brett G.

Hall Piano Company, Inc.

Metairie, Louisiana

If yours have this loud "pop" and other ones of the same model don't, you have a malfunction. If "they all do it", it sounds like a real design flaw, and I wouldn't be wanting to depend on that type of amp, as there are likely lots of other design oversights that aren't as obvious.

I'm seeing a lot of electronic equipment from even reputable brands be of much poorer quality than it used to be. My rule of thumb that I use is "if it has plastic 1/4" jacks instead of metal, don't buy it".

"shit" happens. Success Takes Focus.

Archived