Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

just a couple octaves of quality midi controller?!?

Tedly Nightshade

Still searching for a small controller, maybe 31 key or whatever, that has acoustically quiet keys, and a responsive feel. Spoiled rotten on the wooden keyboard of the Kawai MP9000, but clearly not small! Want some of that same precision in getting midi note velocities right in there...

Everything I've seen has been noisy rackety cheapo keys.

Anybody know of anything really great? It's for playing just bass in an otherwise acoustic combo where key noises are really obnoxious...

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all of the small controllers i know of have pretty crappy keys - the novation remote 25 is the only one i know of that has semi-weighted.

i've got a microkontrol and an edirol pcr30.

the micro has mini keys that feel like a toy (it's a neat unit tho).

the pcr keys feel quite a bit better, but still nowhere near like a good full size board.

but they're good enough for what i use them for.

It couldn't feel worse than a real Hammond organ! :eek::P

But at least those keys are quiet...

Thanks for the recommendations- budget's not a big issue if I can find something really class- but I don't want something more trickier or complicated than I need.

Can you recommend the Novation and/or the Microcontol for being acoustically quiet?

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Both these are USB controllers- I don't want to use a computer, just hook up the thing to a Triton Rack and go. Complicated enough for me! Are these useful for that?

Ted,

Wish I had a great recommendation for you, but I don't.

The Novation Remote 25 can be used as a straight MIDI controller, in fact it has two MIDI outs. You will just have to provide power via AC adapter (not included) or batteries. I own this one. The keyboard is definately one of the best around in the mini controller category. I do feel it's overpriced. On mine, one of the pots is bad and some other things lack the quality you would hope for given that it costs over twice as much as the others in this category.

At NAMM Ego Systems had some new two octave controllers. These included both audio and MIDI functionality (which adds a bit to the price). I was impressed with the feel of keyboard and went back to the booth a second time to reconfirm. I did ask them if I was playing a prototype and was told no, but I can't be positive something wasn't lost in translation.

Another consideration is the new mini version of the Alesis Ion. I didn't get a chance to play it but the size is nice and would include some excellent synth bass sounds, all for not much more than the Novation.

Also, something like a used Korg Prodigy is something to look into. Three octaves and some nice controller features.

Even the best keys in these devices (semi-weighted or otherwise) are still going to make more clatter than a fully weighted keyboard which produces more of a far more pleasing thud.

Busch.

ted: the microcontrol i've got is completely quiet. there's almost no resistance on the mini-keys.

the small keys take a bit of getting used to but they give you a little more range and you can reach wider intervals.

both units i've got have midi in/out.

i wouldn't look at the ion as a controller - its knobs send sys-ex, not cc's.

there's talk of an option to have either/or, but it's not implemented yet.

Thanks for the advice folks.

I have to rule out anything with miniature keys- too much to adapt too, plus usually played without looking, while right hand does other things...

Not in a hurry, so maybe this Ego Systems will turn out to be the ticket. Will look into the others mentioned.

Archived