Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best way to turn off synths?

mildbill

electronically (?) speaking - i have a few synths plugged into a 'strip' type thing.

is there any difference between turning them off indivually or turning them all off at once using the strip?

i'm just thinking of wear-and-tear on the synth switches. i've seen a few of them eventually loosen up from being constantly used.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, because the Z1's mod matrix is so extensive, I just route an extremely slow square wave lfo (.0004 HZ, let's say) to the "Unit Power" destination and set amount to 100, thereby avoiding any traumatic surges or switch wear and tear...

;)

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Most of the switches on power strips (surge protectors) are not intended to be on/off switches. Most of the ones I have or seen the circuit breaker in incorparated in this switch. These circuit breakers have a light duty spring and the cycle life in low, in other words, intended to stay on until there is trouble. I do use mine as on/off switches but I replace mine after every power outage or yearly. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

is there any difference between turning them off indivually or turning them all off at once using the strip?
When you use the strip switch they all go on & off at the same time. Next Question?...

Get a metal-cased power strip, and replace the power switch with something a lot more heavy-duty.

"shit" happens. Success Takes Focus.

Keep in mind that internal batteries may kick in when the unit is unplugged (which is what a strip is doing). Sometimes a little trickle current from the wall is used for the memory.
hey prague: are you saying that if you keep your synths on all the time, then they will get their electricty from the wall socket instead of the battery to retain their memory?

think this would make the batterys last longer, or less long from lack of use?

my original question was about not only mechanical wear, but a thought that they might be recieving some kind of harmful 'power surge' from having the switch contacts closed inside the synth and then recieving a jolt from the power strip being turned on.

just some goofy thoughts from someone who doesn't know much about electricity.

Archived