Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should I buy a Triton or a Motif?

marino

Now that I got your attention... :D:D:D

I have a question... :D:D:D

I was offered a Yamaha EX5R for 600 euro. I've always been intrigued by this synth. It has no expansions, but I'm going to use it mainly for synthesis, not sampling... More specifically, I'm looking to explore that FDSP thing.

Do you think it's worth the price? It's been a while since I played one. Opinions from EX5 owners?

(Sorry for the joke, guys. It is, among other things, a way to say that I'm not impossibly busy anymore, and that I hope to post more often again in the coming weeks. :) )

Carlo

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much is 600 euro in US $$$$??? :P

The EX5 sounds fabulous. It has a variety of synthesis models, including VL, and its converters are top notch. You will enjoy tweaking this, being able to assign parameters to the 6 knobs is cool, the effects are beautiful....I guess you can tell I like this puppy! I don't use the sampling function (I use a Mac for that). I was in retail for 16 years selling keyboards, and fooled with the sampling in the store, and found that saving to hard disk (with the optional HD interface) took a loooooooong time; I wanted it more for its striking sound. The grand piano sounds are mediocre, but everything else rocks, and if you want to make sounds, you will lose yourself in it for hours... The Motif probably has better rom waveforms, but this will give you a nice "synthesizer buzz" and stoke your creativity.

Roger :D

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

Originally posted by Roger Hooper:

How much is 600 euro in US $$$$??? :P

Roger

At the current rate, about $720, but given the power of purchase and all that stuff, you can more or less make them equal.

Consider that I already have a VL1m and an AN1x, so for me the appeal of the EX5 consists almost exclusively of FDSP programming, or maybe layering them with AN and VL stuff, which of course I could also do via MIDI.

So maybe I should rephrase my question: EX5 users - in your opinion, is messing with FDSP using the onboard samples worth 600 euro? :)

Thanks again!

If it is an ES then go for the Motif. Otherwise go for the Triton.

Originally posted by marino:

...(Sorry for the joke, guys. It is, among other things, a way to say that I'm not impossibly busy anymore, and that I hope to post more often again in the coming weeks. :) )

Carlo

Hmmmm. I think I liked you better when you were impossibly busy.

just kidding - :D

Maybe. :P

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

<---- My vote... ;):thu:

I really do prefer the EX over my Motif for most things except for acoustic pianos and drums. The EX is a very misunderstood machine that has absolutely HUGE sonic potential. I wish Yamaha would put the FDSP processor back into its keyboards. It really does add a lot. :)

Hello Marino, how is life these days? It's been a long time...good to hear from you again.

Well, when we recorded our first album, studio in Wienna had EX5R and I used it a lot. It sounded great (try selfFM and seismic).It was 3 years ago and EX5 was very new thing to me. I had great experience with it, although I cannot remember can you make combination of sample and FDSP.

As I can remember you can only make AN-FDSP combinations on board, i.e. no AWM-FDSP layering on EX5. I still think that is well spent money in any case, I dont know why is EX5 so much neglected. You will definitly put it to good use, and 600 EUs sounds cheap to me, you cannont get it in Bosnia for less then 750, or you must buy brand new.

Hope this helps,

Faruk

P.S. By the way, what is your experience with AN1X? Do you have any idea on 2nd hand price in Italy?

Fat But Fast

Originally posted by Faruk:

Hello Marino, how is life these days? It's been a long time...good to hear from you again.

Well, when we recorded our first album, studio in Wienna had EX5R and I used it a lot. It sounded great (try selfFM and seismic).It was 3 years ago and EX5 was very new thing to me. I had great experience with it, although I cannot remember can you make combination of sample and FDSP.

As I can remember you can only make AN-FDSP combinations on board, i.e. no AWM-FDSP layering on EX5. I still think that is well spent money in any case, I dont know why is EX5 so much neglected. You will definitly put it to good use, and 600 EUs sounds cheap to me, you cannont get it in Bosnia for less then 750, or you must buy brand new.

Hope this helps,

Faruk

P.S. By the way, what is your experience with AN1X? Do you have any idea on 2nd hand price in Italy?

Hi Faruk! Glad to 'see' you again. Every now and then, you seem to pay a visit to the old friends at the Corner... :)

Thank for sharing your EX5 experience. I was about to buy one when it first came out, but then I started hearing complaints about the slow SCSI and other bugs or shortcomings, so I bought a VL1m instead (and never regretted it).

I thought FDSP is applied 'over' the AWM samples, so to speak... am I wrong? To my understanding, the FDSP section works a bit like a filter section on the onboard samples (AWM), not the AN section. Can some EX expert confirm that?

About the AN1x, I've seen it going for anywhere from 300 euro to about 450. As usually, a bit higher than in the USA... If you like, I can give you a link to a good Italian site for buying and selling instruments.

BTW, the AN1x is still the only VA I own. It's not perfect, but I like its sound quality and programmability quite a bit. I tried the Ion recently, but it didn't impress me enough to sell the AN.

Carlo

About the AN1x, I've seen it going for anywhere from 300 euro to about 450. As usually, a bit higher than in the USA... If you like, I can give you a link to a good Italian site for buying and selling instruments.

BTW, the AN1x is still the only VA I own. It's not perfect, but I like its sound quality and programmability quite a bit. I tried the Ion recently, but it didn't impress me enough to sell the AN.

Carlo[/QB]

That link would be great Carlo, thank you very much.
Fat But Fast

Archived