Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

B-3 stuff to check out...

M Peasley

All of these guys have already been mentioned, but I'll suggest some specific albums (in no particular order, of course). All are jazz- or groove-oriented:

Larry Young, "Unity", "Into Somethin'"

Grant Green, "Talkin' About" (w/ Larry Young)

Jimmy Smith, "Back at the Chicken Shack", "Organ Grinder's Swing", "The Sermon", "Dynamic Duo" (w/ Wes Montgomery on guitar)

Charles Earland, "Black Talk"

Joey DeFrancesco, "Goodfellas", "Incredible!" (w/ Jimmy Smith)

Randy Johnston, "Detour Ahead" (w/ Joey D.)

Pat Martino, "Live at Yoshi's" (w/ Joey D.)

Lonnie Smith, "Live at Club Mozambique"

Lou Donaldson, "Alligator Bogaloo" (w/ Lonnie Smith)

Javon Jackson "Easy Does It" (w/ Lonnie Smith -- how does he get that incredible bass sound???)

Larry Goldings, "Moonbird"

Michael Brecker, "Time is of the Essence" (w/ Larry Goldings)

John Scofield, "Groove Elation" (w/ Larry Goldings)

Jack McDuff, "The Honeydripper"

Go listen to them on your favorite website for samples (iTunes? Amazon?) and buy some or all of them! I personally guarantee you will not be disappointed. :)

Currently my favorite player is Larry Young. For those of you who believe B3 players must be constantly pushing and pulling the drawbars and switching the Leslie speed, check him out. The man was a genius, and I believe he pretty much stuck with the same preset most of the time, with the Leslie on STOP. He derived expressiveness from his beautiful technique, not from sound manipulation. Pure magic. He died waaaaay before his time. RIP, Larry.

Good luck!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by HCMF:

I never saw him live and haven't heard of him coming to Canada in years

Not sure where you are in Canada, but if you're anywhere near Toronto, you've been missing out! Brian's been in town at the Orbit Room twice in the last 2 years, including a 4-day stint back in April of this year.

Of course, Canada's a huge country, so I'm not assuming you're in the Toronto area. However, keeping with the thread of B-3 players, the Orbit Room is a hotbed of amazing talent. Gotta love a room with a house Hammond (and TWO Leslies, last time I checked :D:D:D ). Check it out HERE .

(note that I'm not affiliated with the venue at all... just a happy visitor :) )

SG

Wow. Oh, bloody wow!!!

I've always been a huge Jimmy Smith fan, and have listened for a quite a long time to many of the B3 artists mentioned on this thread.

I just now was exposed to Niacin, John Novello's group that Botch mentioned above.

...just purchased their 1997 self-titled album off iTunes. (Not as crazy about the 1998 album 'High Bias')

...a happy day of listening ahead of me, and then a long time of trying to figure a little bit of it out on the keys at home....

Kirby

Sven,

Did you get to the Orbit room for the tenth anniversary this weekend?

I am a huge fan of the Orbit room's old house band - the Dexters. Ever seen them? The band I am in now steals some of there versions of classic RnB stuff.

Good to see mention of a wicked landmark like that!!!

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Hey Phred... no, unfortunately I was gigging in Barrie the night of the anniversary! :( Missed seeing the Dexters for the last (?) time.

I have seen The Dexters a few times, and enjoyed the show each time. Lou and the boys are going to be sorely missed... but their departure opens the doors for others to take up the torch (or so I'd like to believe ;) ). At least The Sisters Euclid are still going strong on Monday nights. :D

Cheers,

Sven

Brian Auger!!!

i can't believe this guy isn't mentioned more often

THANK YOU!! Among his many fine releases, I presume you have listened to the "Definitely What" album, which will always be my favorite. Brian rips not only on B3, but acoustic piano as well. ;)

Originally posted by forceman:

Brian Auger!!!

i can't believe this guy isn't mentioned more often

Caught Brian Auger at Tenny Street Roadhouse, Dearborn, MI (Metro-Detroit) last night.

First time I saw him live--awesome.

Great musician and showman.

The guy that introduced him said he was the greatest B-3 player that ever lived--dunno about that (De Francesco??) but great nevertheless.

Chatted with Brian during the break and he was totally approachable and very friendly.

Great gig. :thu:

Can't believe I just missed that show by two days! :( I get to metro Detroit only every few months (used to go twice a month). If you're into jazz, check out Brandy's on Telegraph Road in Bloomfield Hills on Tuesday nights. Bob on acoustic bass and Mark on piano are worth listening to, and the food's good!

• 1 month later...

Without a doubt Tony Monaco. I use to be able to listen to him every Thursday @ The 5:01 Jazz Club. It is closed now so I have to check his schedule on his site.

Many people have been mentioned but For a different Flavor of funk you might want to check out Neal Evans of Soulive.

Check them out @ http://www.soulive.com. I absolutely love SOULIVE.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Archived