Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

only 49 keys, but its got drawbars...

daBowsa

Anyone get their hands on Evolution's mk449c yet? Its only got 49 keys, and who knows how the keybed feels, but look at all those assignable goodies! And each can control different params on different patches, with a cool blue lcd screen to te ll you which one you've got dialed in...

Oh yeah, and its only $200!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ksoper:

Boy, I'd have to feel it...

And is there a 61-key version of this?

k.

Yeap!

It is the MK-461C.

BTW I do prefer the keys on the RADIUM keyboards but: the EVOLUTIONs have the 9 faders together and include a "reverse faders" mode so a zero value is at the top and the maximum at the botton of the fader throw.

:wave:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Wow, how'd I miss that one?!? This one seems to be going for $260 - that's in the same ballpark as the UC-33!

This seems like one amazing controller, I hope it feels ok. How do you think it compares to my QS6.1? I've never felt their keybeds before.

Its amzaing to me, with all the assignabilty of this beast that they only include one pedal jack and no MIDI in. I appreciate that the pedal is assignable, but I'd like to have a sustain pedal and a leslie footswitch.

I think I might sell my UC-16 and give this guy a try. :thu:

Originally posted by dabowsa:

... but I'd like to have a sustain pedal and a leslie footswitch.

.. but you can always assign that to any knob, button, or the mod wheel :idea:

www.guslozada.com

quote:Originally posted by dabowsa:

... but I'd like to have a sustain pedal and a leslie footswitch.

.. but you can always assign that to any knob, button, or the mod wheel

Yeah, but then I have to learn to play like a real Hammond and take a hand off the keys to change leslie speeds. :freak:

I bought a $250 Edirol PCR-50 for this reason. 8 sliders, 8 pots, 9 pushbuttons - all assignable. I had visions of using it along with my QS 6.1 and B4 software as a B4 clone. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. It's easily the cheapest feeling keyboard I've laid my hands on. Even low end Casios have a better feel.

Errgh! I wish we new for sure who made their keybed...but I guess you're right, at that price (only $20 more than the UC-33) the keyboard looks to be an almost afterthough. Although this product came out only after Evolution was acquired by M-Audio, so maybe they have some extra purchasing power...

Jimmie - don't look now, but you're about to make your 1,000th post! Congrats in advance!

-Ben.

M-Audio and EVOLUTION produce their own Keybeds. As I said, I preffer M-Audio's over Evolution´s.

But they were actually made for PLAYING. They feel better than many other more expensive keyboards but as it always happen, it's a matter of taste ;)

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by dabowsa:

... so maybe they have some extra purchasing power...

What about the company's International Tech Support manager being available at your favorite music forum? :D (Yeah, that's me!)

In the US, M-Audios Customer Support Team will now be available 12 hours a day, between 7:00AM and 7:00PM Pacific Standard Time.

Sorry for the spam :o

www.guslozada.com

oops, sorry gus.

i just got a korg microkontrol and an edirol prc30.

the 30 feels almost playable (for its whole 2 octaves), but the MK really looks and feels like a toy with those mini keys.

i've played mini keys before, but i will never get used to them.

of course, the boards you're talking about with 49 and 61 keys are much more usable for actual playing.

the 2 octave boards i see being used mainly with laptops for softsynths.

It has a socket for sustain, but NOT a continuous controller for volume/expression. That's the deal-breaker for me, otherwise I'd buy the 61-key version right now-those drawbars would work just fine for the B4, and other setups for live gig use, whee! But without volume, all the expression is gone... :(

Dasher

It's all about the music. Really. I just keep telling myself that...

The Soundsmith

Yeah, as an user, I'm actually bummed because they are missing several options like a MIDI IN port, continuous control pedal, AFTERTOUCH and other amenities only found in bigger/expensier keyboards.

All of them -not the MIDI IN issue- might be fixed by assigning the desired control to a fader, knob or button, but for two haded players it might be not very attractive.

But for the price/performance ratio, they work pretty fine.

www.guslozada.com

Size is a big question. I would like to have full size keys for a controller, but to be honest; I have that in a Karma and Motif ES. What makes one of these really usable for me is being able to shove it in a suitcase without taking much room. For that reason I will keep the Oxygen 8 as my little controller, for now. I can play in chords, base, and limited leads. I just have to play them separately and not get carried away. And it also makes a nice little controller while sitting in a recliner and connected to a laptop.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

i've been going on about this for a while now, but someday, someone will make a full size (76 or 88 key) controller with all the goodies.

when they do - i'm there.

i'd rather have a light weight, competent controller and modules than a workstation type thing.

right now, it seems like you can get a lot of control from these smaller keyboards like the evoltion, or you can get a lot of sounds and maybe not needed features (like sequencers and sampling) with nowhere near the level of control of a mini.

maybe the next trend will be full size controllers with no sounds and mini-workstations?

Originally posted by mildbill:

i've been going on about this for a while now, but someday, someone will make a full size (76 or 88 key) controller with all the goodies.

when they do - i'm there.

i'd rather have a light weight, competent controller and modules than a workstation type thing.

right now, it seems like you can get a lot of control from these smaller keyboards like the evoltion, or you can get a lot of sounds and maybe not needed features (like sequencers and sampling) with nowhere near the level of control of a mini.

maybe the next trend will be full size controllers with no sounds and mini-workstations?

I'm not sure which goodies you're looking for, but did you check this thing out, just announced at Namm? It's 88 keys and has a pretty good array of goodies, including 9 sliders for clonewheel control. Not weighted action, but on the other hand, it's a small footprint, and only weighs 14 lbs.

StudioLogic VMK88

That looks promising...it could replace my A-33 as a lower manual/EP controller if the action is right.

But why, why, WHY put the sliders on the the right side of the board? WHY?!?

But its got everything, doesn't it? Sliders, knobs, 4 pedal inputs, semi-weight, buttons, datawheel, lcd...wow!

Hopefully you're asking for something like this puppy:

http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/news/big/ks88.jpg

Keystation Pro 8888-Note Hammer Action USB Powered MIDI Controller

* 88-key hammer-action USB powered MIDI controller with 4 zones to accommodate up to 4 layers or splits per patch.

* The complement of MIDI-assignable controllers includes 9 faders, 24 rotary controllers and 22 buttonsand pitch wheel, modulation wheel, sustain pedal and controller pedals are all fully assignable as well.

* 10 memory locations store all controller settings.

* It weighs in at approximately 40 lbs.

... why o why did we put the faders to the right? I still wonder why...

www.guslozada.com

To answer Phil's and 0-9 questions...

* It will come in at least three months.

* The price point is one of M-Audio's BEST kept secrets but as usual, expect it to be affordable and great bang for the buck.

We missed several key features -or even some luxuries- to mantain M-Audio's policy of delivering great products at an attractive price. Rotary enconders are one of them for this specific product but we're trying that technology for future releases.

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by Phil B:

Yeeowww!! Nice product. Why not one row of endless rotaries? (sorry to ask such a negative question -- it looks awesome)

BTW... many soft synths are not still capable of sending knob position back to the controller which stills makes difficult to implement it in a open architecture MIDI controller.

A different story is about Hardware VA's where their operating systems are integrated to the rotary encoders.

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by GusTraX:

BTW... many soft synths are not still capable of sending knob position back to the controller which stills makes difficult to implement it in a open architecture MIDI controller.

I know, I'm just thinking of one in particular (Reaktor).

richard and gus: no - somehow i missed both of those, but they're getting damn close to my idea of the perfect controller.

neither one is listed on the sites yet for specs and what-not, but thanks for the heads-up.

oh yeah - put the sliders on the left side next time.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Hey, Gus,

Does that thing also have a power supply like the Oxy 8 or do I have to bring my powered USB hub if I want to use it without a computer? :D

:o

All the M-Audio's keyboards include a Power Supply in case you might not use it USB powered.

EVOLUTION does NOT ship the units with a power supply.

:P

www.guslozada.com

Archived