Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

need help identifying music notation symbol

ABECK

My theory is a bit rusty - funny how these things slip when you don't use them. I'm trying to identify a notation symbol that I ran across which confuses me.

The symbol is above a note in the bass cleff. There is a sharp above the note (not next to it) and above the sharp is what looks kind of like a slanted letter M or N, with a vertical line through it. Any insights on this one???

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could be (?) another way of notating a Neopolitan Sixth chord. I always saw it as a N6 when I came across it in theory text books. That would be my guess.

That sharp confuses the issue unless you are also reading music notated in 'figured bass'. In that case, the sharp would indicate that the third above the bass note would be sharped (because that sharp is not in the key signature). Would that make sense with your example?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Could the sharp be a notation for a "tierce de picardie" type situation? (Playing a major tonic chord in a minor key, with the third of the chord sharpened, usually at the end of a section of the piece.)

Not sure about the "n or m". Is it an ornament / trill like notation?

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

A mordent ... an ornament, a grace note or two before a note. The n or m is a wavy line, the line through that has meaning (I think a grace note below the principal note, but I could be wrong), and the sharp refers to the flavor of the ornament - C# instead of C, for example.

I would see that all the time in Baroque music.

My money is now on a mordent.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived