Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Underwater Vocals?

I have a session next week where I have to make a vocalist sound like he's singing underwater. I was wondering if anyone has ever done this and if you used plug-in's or unconventional recording techniques. One method we've discussed is wrapping a 57 in a condom, putting it in a tub of water while the singer puts his face in the water and sings. I'm serious. Any tips would really help. Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bear in mind, what you may be thinking of as singing underwater is an effect you've seen and heard in movies or in novelty songs. The point is, no one actually sings underwater for most and quite possibly every instance this has been done on film, etc. Foley and sound effects editing is all about making you believe that what you see and what you hear match. What you hear is often created without any of the real sound the elements on screen might actually make. Audiobotica spelled out a darn good method to create this effect. Keep your mics out of water unless you need real sounds of underwater creatures! :D

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

One super simple way to do it is to pull out high and low and really boost the mid on EQ. I'm going on basic knowledge and gear here, though. Also, try a flanger and set it with a very slow rate and the bandwidth just covering midrange. Those tricks get me the traditional, albeit rudimentary "underwater" sound...also sounds a little phone-ish :thu:

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

I know this is gonna sound crazy,and I have no idea if it could ever work.......But I had a song I had contemplated getting an underwater sound on guitar and here's what I dreamed up but have never tried.Take a cheap speaker and mic that you're not gonna miss if all goes horribly wrong.Put the speaker in a garbage bag,and the mic in another and put'em in the bath tub with some kinda rack or stand to keep 'em in the correct spot.Like I said crazy idea but it may work ...who knows?
jgc2002 is not responsible for damages ,injuries and or death as result of above post.Side effects include nasuea,dizziness,dry mouth,vomiting,blurred vision,nervousness,loss of memory and in extreme cases sexual side effects. www.mp3.com/salt_creek

[quote]Originally posted by dino321: [b]I have a friend who used to do a lot of jingles in Nashville. He did an ad for "Mr. Water Cooler" or something like that. He actually filled his mouth with water and sang the part. True underwater sound. No effects needed.[/b][/quote]The other cheap way to do this effect is the old inex finger wiggled up and down on the lips while speaking/singing. Classic, effective.

Yours in Music,

Ben Fury

How did the Beatles (George Martin) record those background underwater vocals on Yellow Submarine? I don't have all the documentation available, but I would think it would be available somewhere. They seem to have documented everything about the Beatles. Or that singing with a mouthful of water might work. I heard that on a album once depicting a guy drowning in the ocean. It sounded great!
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Archived