Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequencing Software

ApollosDaddy

Hello All. This is my first post here and here it goes:

I have a Korg Triton Pro-X (as a controller) and a few rackmount synths. My computer is a "family-member-in-the-business-custom-built" 2.6Ghz P4, 800FSB, 1GB ram, blah blah blah.

I am looking for the appropriate sequencing/recording software to fit my purpose which is this:

I am looking to sequence using the software, NOT the Triton. I would like to record audio as well and burn CDs on my PC. The software needn't be the thousand dollar top of the line, but not the available-at-Circuit City stuff either.

I appreciate any support in choosing the right software.

~Todd

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some programs to try for recording- Samplitude, Sonar, Cubase SX. Also you may want to look into dedicated processing apps. like Waves, assorted Antares apps., etc.For burning Samplitude will do it for you in the app., other than that I would suggest CD Architect from Sony Media Works(used to be Sonic Foundry). Once you get into it you may find yourself also wanting software synths and samplers and that's a whole other ballgame ;)

Darkon the Incandescent

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

You're probably going to want to use either Cubase SX or Cakewalk Sonar. Both are extremely robust and very expandable. You can get cut down versions of both, but if you can, just get the high end version...neither are even close to a grand.

"For instance" is not proof.

I agree. Go with the full version if possible (I use Cakewalk's Sonar). Sometime ago I had purchased Cakewalk's Pro Audio 9. I paid a little over $300. The good thing about doing this is that if you want to upgrade, the upgrades are relatively inexpensive. For example, when I upgraded to Sonar, it only cost me $149.00. Plus, as said in the earlier posts, there are lots of plug-ins available.
Yamis

Well, I'd go for a Cubase SX too, but it would be the shame not to use it in the same time with Propelerheads Reason. I dont know prices, but maybe you should consider buying some VSTs. BTW maybe you should reconsider useing Triton only as a controler
Fat But Fast

Thank you all for your input. Faruk- I think I chose the incorrect verbage. I use the Triton to control my racks, not ONLY as a controller. My fault for poor wording there. I just want to have an easy interface on a big monitor with the ease of computer functionality to sequence my tunes.

I have definitely decided on some VST synths already (!).

About Sonar:

I was told, possible misinformed, that Sonar was NOT what I wanted for sequencing and that it was more of a loop-based production program that used it's OWN innards for tracks (if that makes sense). Anyway, the rep at the local store told me it's not the best choice. Sounds like he was wrong.

If it is essentially a sequencer with upgradability then that is what I am looking for.

~Todd

Originally posted by ApollosDaddy:

About Sonar:

I was told, possible misinformed, that Sonar was NOT what I wanted for sequencing and that it was more of a loop-based production program that used it's OWN innards for tracks (if that makes sense). Anyway, the rep at the local store told me it's not the best choice. Sounds like he was wrong.

If it is essentially a sequencer with upgradability then that is what I am looking for.

He was wrong. Maybe he was thinking of Project 5, in which case, he'd still be wrong. :D

"For instance" is not proof.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now, those who use such software, what is your opinion on user-friendliness? I'm very computer literate but want to be able to use the basic sequencing features without having to read the Iliad and Odyssey beforehand. Thanks again all, you've been a great help.
~Todd

Sonar is probably the most user friendly and flexible on the Midi side, Samplitude is very strong on the audio side, and Cubase is pretty evenly balanced between the audio and Midi sides. I prefer Sonar as it is very easy to set up and use, allows for full DX and VST plugin integration, and has a decent pricetag :)

If I move from it(started off with Cakewalk Pro Audio, then experimented with Cubase and Samplitude along the way) it will be a migration to either Samplitude or a turnkey Pro Tools setup running under an NT kernel(unless they smarten up and port to Linux ;) ).

You should very rarely trust music salespeople, they could just as easily be selling cars or fire detectors if you get my drift ;)

Darkon the Incandescent

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

Originally posted by zeronyne:

About Sonar:

He was wrong. Maybe he was thinking of Project 5, in which case, he'd still be wrong. :D
Project 5? I checked it out, but I can't think of a single REASON to get it. Can anyone suggest a REASON for me to investigate it further? ;)

Originally posted by Darkon the Incandescent:

Sonar is probably the most user friendly and flexible on the Midi side, Samplitude is very strong on the audio side, and Cubase is pretty evenly balanced between the audio and Midi sides. I prefer Sonar as it is very easy to set up and use, allows for full DX and VST plugin integration, and has a decent pricetag :)

I think, judging by your reply, that Cubase would be the way for me to at least look into at this point. While ease of sequencer function is priority one, ease of burning to CD is and the audio portion of the program is ranked rather high.

You should very rarely trust music salespeople, they could just as easily be selling cars or fire detectors if you get my drift ;)

Darkon the Incandescent

Yeah, commissioned salespeople can often do that (SOME, no flames please). However, he is turning me off of one product to push me onto something less expensive. Maybe he really doesn't know his a$$ from his elbow.
~Todd

However, he is turning me off of one product to push me onto something less expensive. Maybe he really doesn't know his a$$ from his elbow.

Not true. Although the product may be less expensive for YOU, in many cases a salesperson/store will make more commission off the sale of a lower priced item than they would with a higher priced item. It's in his best interest to sell you whatever makes him the most money, not what is the most expensive on your end.

Archived