Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KC Comps - Volume 7/8

Dave Bryce

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Llarion:

That Discmakers short run thing is a Mixonic co-branding. (In case you've had good or bad experiences with Mixonic....)

Never heard of them. Got any feedback - either positive or negative?

Roland, thanks for the link... :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by bleen:

I received the tracks for Vol.8 today and have loaded them into the computer for mastering! :thu:

Now, I'll just finish up my track and get this puppy movin'! Stay tuned.... :D

:cool:

Take your time, brother Bleen - no hurry.

I should be finished with Vol. 7 pretty soon. Getting the tunes in the right order is what takes me the longest, but I already have an order that I mostly like...

dB

Originally posted by b_3guy:

Janet has started a painting for the cover. I haven't contacted anybody at Disc Masters. Seems like they're short runs don't have a liner. Thoughts. . .

Steve, take a look at the Discmakers link posted above by Roland. They do have a four panel option...it does look as though they don't do a back panel, though - I can live with that, if that's the case.

Your estimation of how workable this will be art-wise is a pretty major factor in this decision. If you could let me know what you think, that'd be great...

Thanks!

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Steve, take a look at the Discmakers link posted above by Roland. They do have a four panel option...it does look as though they don't do a back panel, though - I can live with that, if that's the case.

Your estimation of how workable this will be art-wise is a pretty major factor in this decision. If you could let me know what you think, that'd be great...

Thanks!

dB

The painting is finished, very cool I might add. I've looked at the link & I concur, they have a 4 panel liner, like we been doing. And you're right, the slim line jewel case doesn't have back panel. It makes no difference to me whether or not we have a back panel, although it's a handy place to put the track listing. Maybe the back track listing could be considered redundant, since it's on the back panel of the liner. I could put the track listing right on the front, (yuk). How do we handle the two volumes, actually produce two separate CD's? What's really interesting is Janet did two paintings on Sat morning. They are similar looking, but there are two. My suggestion is we produce the art, as we usually do, & we cross the bridges as we come to them. Although they say the hardest thing to do in life is to figure out which bridges you cross & which bridges you burn.

:D;)

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Originally posted by b_3guy:

The painting is finished, very cool I might add.

Excellent. I have no doubt it looks killer... ;)

I've looked at the link & I concur, they have a 4 panel liner, like we been doing. And you're right, the slim line jewel case doesn't have back panel.
It does not appear to be the case - there doesn't appear to be an option to charge for them in the pricing table, nor any mention of them that I can find.

It makes no difference to me whether or not we have a back panel, although it's a handy place to put the track listing.
..and it allows for the little label on the side of the disc as well. I'll miss that.

Maybe the back track listing could be considered redundant, since it's on the back panel of the liner.
I agree...

I could put the track listing right on the front, (yuk).
Nah. I prefer Janet's paintings. :thu:

How do we handle the two volumes, actually produce two separate CD's?
Yes.

What's really interesting is Janet did two paintings on Sat morning. They are similar looking, but there are two.
That sounds like just the ticket...I'll trust your judgement on the best way to proceed.

I think it's worth trying to do things this way. It appears that it will cost less, and then we don't have to do a fixed run, and I don't have to play bank.

Does anyone have any objections to trying this?

dB

I think it's worth trying to do things this way. It appears that it will cost less, and then we don't have to do a fixed run, and I don't have to play bank.

Never mind. It won't work.

I just talked to DiscMakers - they will not allow anyone other than the person who places the initial order to buy copies of the discs from them, So I'd still have to play bank and there'd still have to be a fixed run. Plus, the costs on their site do not include packaging and shipping.

Too bad...it was a nice idea... :(

Looks like it's up to me and brother Jackpine again, if he's willing...

dB

I never thought about the side window. I hate cases that don't have one. Makes it impossible to find in a slot in a CD holder. That's almost a deal breaker for me.

Steve

The question also now arises - do we pursue two individual CDs (one for each volume), or go for the double box?

I'd actually lean more towards the two individual CDs. I didn't love the double box on volumes 1 and 2; plus, it makes the liner notes easier to fit, I think.

What do y'all think?

dB

Double box works for me. We actually did a triple over at Homerec.com - even that was fine.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I know my extra work doesn't compare to both Dave's & Jim's, but I'm OK with it. Although I do like the neatness of the two volumes combined, my VOLs 1 & 2 arrived broken inside.

Steve

So, unless I miss my guess, Volume 7 is probably gonna look like this:

Overheard at the Bog DanS

Stop The Noizz Music*al

Arc of Perception mpeasley

Theme and Variations Lincoln Ross

Every Time You Say Goodbye To Me - SteadyB

Change your Mind Phil OKeefe

On the Tonto Rim Roger Hooper

Don't Say Nothin' dB

Toccata PatAzz

Viral Wave Bunny K.

Shegar Ken/Eleven Shadows

Porcupine Feet ksoper

How Was I To Know b_3guy

You Cant Do That Guitplayer

Kach Soundscape Studios

Centinela Gustrax

The disc sounds really great - y'all are seriously talented... :thu:

BTW - you may noticed I changed my submission to a different tune...trust me - the new one's more fun. ;)

dB

Never mind. It won't work.

I just talked to DiscMakers - they will not allow anyone other than the person who places the initial order to buy copies of the discs from them, So I'd still have to play bank and there'd still have to be a fixed run. Plus, the costs on their site do not include packaging and shipping.

Too bad...it was a nice idea... :(

dB

go look at Mixonic directly, I think they allow what we need...

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Originally posted by Llarion:

go look at Mixonic directly, I think they allow what we need...

Thanks, Phil! They appear to pretty much have what we need.

$7.03 to make each CD, probably another buck or two to pack and ship it. Should be around the same as the $10 we've been paying, maybe a bit less.

The only disadvantage I can see is the whole no back panel/side panel thing. I don't love that, especially the loss of the side panel. I'm actually with Steve J on this one - I want to be able to find the CD in a rack, and it's almost a deal-breaker for me not to have it.

What do you guys think?

dB

I'm with you folks. If we are going to do it right lets get the standard case for the professionals playing on it. If we can't aford a few bucks more to have it, we all have problems.

You guys did a great job on all of the other ones, they look GREAT! It will look professional IMO. Are we still looking at two seperate CD's or a double pack?

PS........

Dave should we be providing you and others with info about the tune? Insert material, etc? What were the thoughts........?

Jazzman :cool:

My two thoughts:

1) As far as I read (between the lines), Mixonic doesn't ship outside the US. Quote: "PRICING INCLUDES: ... All packing materials and labor for shipping anywhere in USA"

2) The side panel argument is very valid and I would miss it, too. However, if the price would be to burden Dave again with all the manufacturing and logistics I would happily pass on the side panel.

Originally posted by Jazzman:

Dave should we be providing you and others with info about the tune? Insert material, etc? What were the thoughts........?

Steve J will let you know when he's ready for that info.

dB

Cool. I'll definitely get a copy. Lookin' forward to it. I'll keep checking back here periodically.

Originally posted by Jazzman:

Steve J will let you know when he's ready for that info.

dB

I'll be able to start this weekend. Do we have the final order? If so I'll start a new thread for credits with an example.

Steve

Originally posted by bleen:

Steve, I'll get you a track sequence for Vol. 8 by Sunday. Will that work for you?

Don't rush on my account. Post when you are ready!!

Steve

Archived