Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI Questions

Yamis

I should know this but.......

I have my S80 midied to my Alesis QS7.1. I have volume pedals connected to each keyboard. The problem is that I want the volume pedals to work independently. In other words, I don't want the volume pedal connected to my S80 to have any effect on the QS7.1 and vice versa. How do I do this?

Second question: I have a number of patches on my QS7.1 where I don't want to use key velocity or touch sensitivity. How do I turn these functions off?

Yamis

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I have an S-80, I don't use it to control volume...SO I'm not certain if you could shut the MIDI command that your volume pedal sends off, at least not in a global sense. I think you might be able to do that with a performance, but I doubt that would accomplish what you're looking for.

The only other thing I could suggest is to see if the QS7 has a way to not respond to incoming volume changes. I'm not familiar with that model, however, so I can't help you ther. Sorry...

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Everyone is right on this one. Since you have two CC pedals, you need to either set both keayboards to not accept controller 7, or have both boards not send 7, or a combination of the two.

What he said!

I just don't know how to do it from the S-80...

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

Second question: I have a number of patches on my QS7.1 where I don't want to use key velocity or touch sensitivity. How do I turn these functions off?
Yamis:

There are a few ways to approach this, varying by the amount of effort.

1. Simplest is from the Global Edit menu, set the kbd curve to MAXIMUM. But this is a global setting that will affect all patches.

2. Edit the patch, and select AMP/RANGE. Scroll to the VEL CURVE entry and change it to MAXIMUM for each of the 4 sounds. This isn't perfect, but it may work well enough.

3. For absolute removal of any velocity sensitivity, you will need to review all of the modulation parameters for the patch. These would include PITCH, FILTER, AMP and the MOD sources for the TRACK GEN.

When I use my S80, I always use it in Performance/Master Keyboard mode. In that mode, you can go to the "MKB" screens to the "MKB TxSw1" (or 2 or 3 or 4) screen and turn on/off the "Vol/FV" switch. In the off position, the keyboard zone will not transmit volume messages via the expression pedal. You could set up a Performance in which one zone controls sounds for the S80 and another zone controls sounds for the Alesis. You could set up the S80 zone to respond to the volume pedal plugged into the S80 and the Alesis zone not to transmit volume messages to the Alesis.

Archived