Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Waldorf pulse: not just a bass synth anymore(?)

loxley11

Okay, so I know a lot of you use the waldorf pulse/pulse+ for a dedicated bass synth. Let's hear something about its lead capabilities, or are there better candidates for a new, low priced monophonic lead synth?

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been searching for the right mono analog synth for a long time; my main goal was to program good, fat, warm Moog-style leads. I spent a good chunk of time with the Pulse, and while I found it excellent for techno/dance basses, as a lead synth it lacks warmth, to my ears at least. Maybe it's the fact that its oscillators are digitally 'clocked', it just doesn't have that singing quality.

After careful searching, my final choice has been a Studio Electronics SE-1. Quite more expensive than the Pulse, but you can find an used one for about $700 if you don't want to fork out $1500 for a new SE1X (you can always upgrade later).

Other synths I had considered include the Evolver, the MFB Synth II, and of course a MIDIed Minimoog (really too expensive, especially here in Europe). I've found that the SE-1 gives me the best 'sound for the buck' ;) and now I'm totally in love with it.

On the other hand: If you like lead sounds that show some aggressive, 'acidic' quality, rather than being big, warm and singing, the Pulse can be a good choice.

Carlo

edited - almost forgot: Among the synths I had considered, there's also the Macbeth M3X, a product from UK that's esentially a Minimoog clone, very well built. From what I heard (many mp3s from different sources) it sounds good, but a little tubby for my tastes, and it completely lacks patch storage. Again, the SE-1 won for sound, features, and price.

Although I'm not totally certain, I believe my favorite monosynth is the Korg Prophecy. No, it's not analog, but has enough realtime controllers to keep things interesting. Nice effects and a deep synthesis engine are other plusses.

YMMV,

r33k

I really like my Pulse for leads, but I effect the hell out of it. It definitely is lacking when compared to a Mini or an SE-1 when listening to a naked (but not by much), and there are some issues with the granularity of the filters, but put it through a distortion and compression with maybe a tiny bit of delay (say no to reverb), and it just rips. Since you can find them for under $350 these days, I think it has a lot of bang for the buck.

"For instance" is not proof.

Cruising through my Pulse patches from the last year or so, there's half a dozen variations of triangle/very-softened saw Theremin-like leads and, not to beat around the bush, for my current purposes that's about all this fundamentally gray-sounding synth is good for.

But different strokes for different folks.

-Bobro

Archived