Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Replacement Backlights (Wavestation, etc)

synthetic

I found a site that sells replacement electro-luminecent backlights for synth products:

http://www.backlights.co.uk/

These are the cool blue backlights that burn out after a few years of use. I just ordered one for my Wavestation EX. They also have models for lots of Korg, Roland, Akai, Yamaha, Kurzweil, Emu, Casio, etc. products. You can even order them in other colors, if you want the only Wavestation with a Red or Orange backlight. Maybe I'll start programming the Wavestation more when I can read the display.

-jl

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and his faithful road crew that, night after night, without complaint, enthusiastically put up the lights behind the band so they would look really, really dreamy
the only good signature is the one on a cheque or a confession

I did mine a few months ago through this one.

Telesis

I sent in my display (Waveststion A/D) and they replace the backlight - or you can buy the backlight part and do it yourself. I opted to spend the extra $10. Its quite a bit more if you send in the whole keyboard/module. I am very satisfied with their business.

I ordered two backlights from backlights.co.uk: For my Wawestation A/D and my TG77. While it's not exactly the same as having a new display, now I'm enjoying programming those two instruments again. They shipped me the backlights for about $90 for both, IIRC. Then I had a technician install them - the TG77 was a particularly complicated job.

I'm told the Telesis backlights are good as well.

Does this take care of the promant problem of the A/D?

Sorry Robert I didnt understand the question. But if the only thing wrong with and A/D you are considerig is that the backlight is gone or dim, this will take care of the problem. BTW my backlight makes my A/D look new again but I guess it also depends on the LCD condition also. I guess who you buy from depends on where you live as the prices seem about the same. I found the A/D display very easy to remove and also heard that the Yamahas are difficult to get to.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Rabid:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, no: the Wavesequence effect is still hopelessly out of date.

I still have no idea what you guys are talking about. :confused:

Originally posted by Markyboard:

Sorry Robert I didnt understand the question. ....
The screens on the Wavestation A/D's have a well known problem of fadinging out over time. When shopping on ebay you will see quotes like "LCD is still very clear" or "I suggest you use a computer editor to compensate for the faded screen". This made me wonder if it is the LCD going bad, or the light behind the LCD.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It's the backlight that fades over time. The LCD is still readable if you have enought light in the room, unfortunately that doesn't describe most studios. I'll take before and after pictures when I replace mine.

The wavesequence comment was a joke, when the Wavestation came out one of the most overused sounds it made was a sequence of waveforms (doo-caa-bee-doo-nee-no-bah-kah...) Every crime drama trying to be Miami Vice in 1988 would hold a finger on one key and play one of this rhythmic effect. The only musical examples I can think of are "Walking the Dog" by Dave Stewart/Barbara Gaskin and "Planet of New Orleans" by Dire Straits. I'm sure there are others.

Archived