Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

midi problem (double data).

hangee_77

I am in the middle of sequencing midi drum from my keyboard using Nuendo2 (with Steinberg midex8) and I have noticed that on the playback, it plays double each note. I can hear the phasing effect on the hihat.

Have any idea ?

Thanks.

Hanjaya C.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by hangee_77:

I am in the middle of sequencing midi drum from my keyboard using Nuendo2 (with Steinberg midex8) and I have noticed that on the playback, it plays double each note. I can hear the phasing effect on the hihat.

Have any idea ?

Thanks.

Hanjaya C.

Try finding a setting on your keyboard - it's probably on a "System" or "Global" page - called LOCAL or LOCAL CONTROL. If this is set to ON, set it to OFF and try again.

Here's what's happening. When you press a key on the keyboard it plays a note inside the keyboard. That note also gets transmitted to Nuendo. Then Nuendo thinks that it has to play the note on your keyboard, so it gets played twice.

To avoid this problem, set the LOCAL CONTROL parameter to OFF. This unlinks the keys from the sound engine. Only the notes that are COMING BACK from Nuendo will sound.

If you want to use the keyboard later WITHOUT Nuendo, just put that setting back to ON.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Umm, I don't think that's what Hangee is talking about (unless he misstated the question). Local On would only cause doubling when actually recording the part.

You may want to check to see if your keyboard has software out/thru, and if so, be sure to disable it and also disable record on the track when you are playing back. Here is why:

When you playback MIDI data, it comes out of the interface into the MIDI In of your keyboard. If your keyboard has the merging thru feature mentioned above (many master controllers do so you can have a double manual B3, for example) it will send the notes it receives straight back out the MIDI Out. Now, if that happens and the Record Enable is active on that track, it will play back the note again. This is classic MIDI feedback. It can actually crash a keyboard or module.

My 2 cents.

"For instance" is not proof.

Thanks guys for replying me.

Yes I always set the Local Control off on my keyboard when doing midi sequencing on Nuendo so I guess Zeronyne got the answer for me, because I remember I keep turning on the rec enable button in Nuendo when playing back the sequence.

I'll check it out.

Once again thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it.

God bless.

Hanjaya C.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Umm, I don't think that's what Hangee is talking about (unless he misstated the question). Local On would only cause doubling when actually recording the part.

In that case, you would expect to get an infinite loop so that cannot be the full story either. The statement about Local on only causing doubling on recording is, of course, correct. It would only be doubled on theinstrument, not in the computer, so it could not be the cause of the problem.

I must admit to not being able to explain this in any way that does not seem rather bizarre involving sending on multiple channels and then having the software fold down to one channel. Have you looked at the data you recorded to see if it recorded everything twice?

I completely agree that it should cause an infinite loop, but often times, and I think it's due to a small MIDI buffer on some part of the chain, it only retriggers once or twice, or it immediately crashes.

I would also recommend, as Byrdman said, to check the data, and let us know if you are getting ghost notes.

"For instance" is not proof.

Sorry I am not able to check the midi data yet right now, but I do notice one more thing. When I play my keyboard without Nuendo, same problem, I still hear the phasing effect (double note).

It happened since I have changed my midi interface from midiman to Steinberg midex8. But I think it shouldn't be a problem because it is Steinberg's product.

Hanjaya C.

Originally posted by hangee_77:

Sorry I am not able to check the midi data yet right now, but I do notice one more thing. When I play my keyboard without Nuendo, same problem, I still hear the phasing effect (double note).

It happened since I have changed my midi interface from midiman to Steinberg midex8. But I think it shouldn't be a problem because it is Steinberg's product.

Hanjaya C.

Ah ha. Hearing twice when playing is a very well known problem, as described in the first reply.

There are two ways to fix.

1/ Set the keyboard to local off. This means that notes played on th ekeyboard send midi but do not play. Only note arriving as midi play. So its like having a midi controller and a module and disconnecting them.

2/ Go into your recording software and turn ogg the midi echo option. Your program is sending any midi data it receives out the out port. This is why you hear everything twice.

NOTE WELL - do only one of these. If you do both, you won't hear anything when playing (well, except for the thunk of the keys and the cat meowing for you to stop playing and start petting)

Archived