Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Control Surfaces?

Dave The Rave

I'm considering getting a control surface to make recording easier with Cubase SX in my new studio setup. As I see the state-of-the-art, it's a toss up between the Tascam FW-1884 and the Mackie Control Universal.

Anyone have any user experience with either of these boxes? Is one obviously better than t'other for use with Cubase SX? Is there an alternative that I should know about?

Any/all help muchly appreciated.

Ta,

:DTR

http://www.tascam.com/product_info.php?pid=269&nav=computer_recording

http://www.mackie.com/products/mackiecontrol/index.html

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Bleen. How are the plastic overlays? Do they move about at all (annoying)? Sturdy? Do you think the keys/knobs/sliders etc. are good quality parts that will last?

I see that the FW-1884 is out of stock pretty much everywhere at the moment. That's probably a good sign. No more till mid December apparently. When/how did you get yours Bleen - did you order as soon as they came out?

Cheers,

:DTR

Originally posted by Dave the Rave:

Thanks Bleen. How are the plastic overlays? Do they move about at all (annoying)? Sturdy? Do you think the keys/knobs/sliders etc. are good quality parts that will last?

Well, the overlays are only on the Mackie Control, I believe, so I won't be much help with that. The construction of the FW-1884 is fantastic - very solid and sturdy. Switches and knobs all feel very durable and the moving faders are smooth and fairly quiet.

I see that the FW-1884 is out of stock pretty much everywhere at the moment. That's probably a good sign. No more till mid December apparently. When/how did you get yours Bleen - did you order as soon as they came out?
I ordered mine right when they came out - one thing that really sold me on it is that the Logic driver was written for Tascam by Michael Haydn of Emagic - he was responsible for the code on the original Logic Control. This meant that Logic wasn't going to have to use a generic control surface driver or HUI emulation with this unit. Very nice! :thu:

Archived