Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New I-book....OS questions

analogman1

Hello all experts at hand!

I'll be getting a new (G-4) I-book, probably in a week or so. Since it's been quite a while that I've owned a MAC, I'm not too hip on the new OS's that have been around.

I hear of many issues with OS-X. Should I have Apple also install 9.0?

I'll be running soft synths,a sequencer, etc...I'm switching to MAC becuse I don't want any more of the compatability problems the PC has...so I could use some serious, sage advise...

Thanks!

Big T from NY :wave::wave::wave:

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The G4 iBooks will not run OS 9. As far as compatibility and reliability, the big three (Logic, Dig Performer, Cubase SX) are a mixed bag. Which one are you going to be running? Or is it some other one like Pro Tools, Nuendo, Metro, etc?

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

The G4 iBooks will not run OS 9. As far as compatibility and reliability, the big three (Logic, Dig Performer, Cubase SX) are a mixed bag. Which one are you going to be running? Or is it some other one like Pro Tools, Nuendo, Metro, etc?

Agreed. I've been fooling around in DP 4.1 for the last several weeks. The only real bump I've found is NI's B4 was working kind of wonky. I seem to be be one of the few that got it working, although an update was posted at NI's site yesterday. Everything else in DP4.11 is working & working smoothly. If you're more specific I can tell you more. I have Peak for OSX but have yet to try it. I don't know when I'll be switching to OSX. I have an old Waves setup & it'll be some time before I can buy Waves 4.0.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Thanks for your help so far. Here's the scoop: I'll be running whatever sequencer will be compatable; I really have less of a preference of user interface, and more of a preference of stability. Ditto for any soft synths (although I really do like the Native Instruments stuff!)and Sound card interfaces.

I'd be willing to adapt to the OS, rather than the other way around, since I don't have any of this software yet.

What do you guys reccommend?

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

I've had no issues, but my laptop setup is very simple: Logic and Reason with the built-in audio and an M-Audio Oxygen8 MIDI controller. I'm not doing audio tracks, other than what comes out of Reason (Rewired to Logic). I haven't even had to think about reliability, also why I came over from 'Doze.

Actually, I've had one issue, but it's a laptop and not an OS issue: never wake the laptop from sleep with a USB MIDI interface plugged in, or else it won't be recognized and you'll be forced to reboot. This is listed in Apple's Knowledge Base as an issue with older laptops, but it is still a problem.

Archived