Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil K2500 problem - help!

Bubbajazz

A weird problem cropped up with my K2500XS yesterday. I turned it on, started playing, and after a couple of minutes, the sound disappeared. Switching patches or rebooting made it reappear, but intermittently, the sound would again disappear, sometimes reappearing, sometimes not.

This was all in Program mode, and in Disk mode (with no further entry). Things seemed to work OK in Song mode, and I did not test Setup. There is no external MIDI hooked up, so I am pretty sure it isn't an external voice-stealing problem. Panic Off doesn't seem to impact it.

I rebooted a couple of times (both with/without external CD-ROM turned on) and the problem cropped up after reboots too.

Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts? George Martin - please weigh in. I've got a couple of sessions coming up, and I hope I don't have to lose my board for these. Many thanks in advance to all.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bitdump:

Is it happening in the headphones?

Is KDFX installed?

Are you loading any master tables?

Whats the Control Setup doing?

was it modified?

Haven't tried phones - I'll let you know.

No KDFX.

Master Tables? I don't think so - the problem occured before I load anything from CD-ROM. I don't know exactly what you mean by Master Tables, so I probably am not doing that.

Control setup is stock KX2500, with the only change being fixed big ribbon (not floating)

Thanks for your interest.

Go to the MIDIscope utility, and see if there any any MIDI messages being sent without you playing the keyboard. It could be that you have a controller that is failing and sending random MIDI messages. If you see something like this, the control may need to be repaired or replaced.

Brett G.

Hall Piano Company, Inc.

Metairie, Louisiana

Kurzweil Keyboard Dept. Manager

"My dream is to have sex in odd time signatures." - J. Rudess

The Master table is a low level object that saves all the settings in the Master Mode. So if you do something like edit the outs on the MIDI Chans page it is possible loading the Master Table could change the behaviour of you outputs and what you are hearing.

MIDI scope is a good idea too. Check the voices page as well, faster way is from any page Press the two middle soft buttons at the same time and select the option.

If you see lots of MIDI info or lots of

XXXX or

xxxx that will not go away then something is hanging voices in the unit. Can start to trouble shoot from there.

Reset is always a good idea and if the Master mode reset doesn't help, do the reset from the boot loader.

In fact before that, if you see the problem try a soft reset.

After that start going about what your loading and doing in a system matic manner. That is load this file first, press this button and what now. Try to pay attention, because if the problem comes back you have a better idea of the the last thing you did or file you loaded before seeing the problem. From there things are much easier to diagnose.

Names to Remember:

Charles Stepney & Emory Cook

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by Bubbajazz:

Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts? George Martin - please weigh in.

George Martin hangs out on this forum? No way... ;):D

I'm guessing you mean George (Geosync) Hamilton, and you've overlaid ex-Kurz guy Mike Martin...

dB

And the lesson here is...

never communicate in cyberspace while multi-tasking. The casually written word always comes back to haunt you - first rule of Email. Of course, I meant George Hamilton. Sorry 'bout that.

I will check out the other suggestions and let the group know. I'm slow in responding because my main web PC is on the fritz (no, it's not connected to the K - that would be too easy.) Thanks, all. I appreciate your time.

Archived