Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone have a MOTU828mkII?

shniggens

In what would best be described as 'bad marital practice', I have miraculously scrounged up (set aside, allocated, budgeted) enough money to get a high-end soundcard.

The one I have been eyeing the MOTU828mkII. Any comments on this unit?

I would like to interface it with my Alesis QS.8 via the ADAT light pipe connection on both units for recording purposes, is this possible? If not, I may consider a cheaper card.

:wave:

Amateur Hack

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jla@hib.no:

sound on sound just had a good review of it in the october magazine.. if you have a mac.. if you want to use it for a PC they had a terrible review of it.

I use one with Windows XP and it has worked brilliantly. What did SOS say bad about it for PC? My only complaint/question (I have posted in Roger's forum about this, but have gotten no responses) is that I can't figure out how to control levels of soft synths when I'm using the 828mkII as a standalone mixer with outboard gear AND standalone soft synths. I'm pretty sure you can't adjust levels of INDIVIDUAL virtual lines, but I can't even figure out how to adjust "all" computer sound (the volume control in my control panel is grayed out - i have no other sound cards in my system).

Sorry to take your soapbox, but I figure if anyone can shed some light on this, it could help with your decision..

Originally posted by Phil B:

I use one with Windows XP and it has worked brilliantly. What did SOS say bad about it for PC?

Well, from what I have been reading, it has bad drivers for PC, and is hard to install and configure correctly. Did you experience any of this with your XP setup?

Also, are you using the ADAT in's on the MOTU? If so, what for?

Amateur Hack

Originally posted by shniggens:

Originally posted by Phil B:

I use one with Windows XP and it has worked brilliantly. What did SOS say bad about it for PC?

Well, from what I have been reading, it has bad drivers for PC, and is hard to install and configure correctly. Did you experience any of this with your XP setup?

Also, are you using the ADAT in's on the MOTU? If so, what for?

Installation was a breeze. No driver problems that I am aware of. With the exception of the "virtual" routing issue I talked about above, configuration is easy. I barely notice its their - it just does what it's supposed to do.

I have not used the ADAT in's, though. I do wish I had something nice to plug in there!! Maybe one day.

Also, the October SOS review was on Motu's PCI-based interfaces (2408mkII, HD192, etc.), not the 828mkII. The negatives about PC use were directed to those interfaces. That said, I've read posts that at least some people have had trouble with it in the PC and G5 contexts (although it sounds like the latter has been fixed with driver updates).

From what I've seen, it sounds like a great interface, and they've improved it with the release of an updated driver for Panther. It's on my short list.

Can't be any help to you on ADATs, though.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

ah yes, my wrong. the review was indeed of the PCI units, not the firewire ones.

so actually, what i've hear (cant rememebr where) is that the firewire untis are best on XP than on MAC because XP does firewire a little better... and the complainst were about bad drivers for the PCI units... ive also read a 2nd review somewhere that said the same thing.. too bad, 24i+2408 is a very tempting combo... perfect for a synth heavy little studio :)

Archived