Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Official 2003-2004 NHL Thread!

Postman

Scotty, you posted your first comments while I was typing mine. Thanks for the extended list of updates around the league. I dont get to watch many games and as I've often said it's much more fun to read the opinions of fellow fans than it is to read the journalists.

Ottawa looks to keep on winning again. Their young too. I think that every team should look at how the senators have built their team over time and copy it. It's the team building model. I think the get a cup or contend for one in the next few years.
Agreed. I wish Philly didnt have to get past them in the playoffs! If they beat us again, I'd be happy for them to win the cup.

So Pitkanen's looking good then? That's great news.

I think Jagr is the kind of guy who plays when he feels like it. Its your job man, put the effort in!

3-15 years for Vehicular Homicide is what I read off the Thrasher's website about a week ago. Very extreme.

Thanks again

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I grew up in Philly and I'm a die hard Flyers fan. I live in St. Louis now. I pull for the Blues here too. Hard to resist another 67 expansion team.

Pitkanen's looking very good. He has the skills. He's not afraid to shoot the puck and they're not afraid to let him. He scored his first goal the other night on a laser from above the circle. Top right corner. From a defensemen!! He's still got to adjust to the NHL and learn to deal with the forecheck but he looks like a keeper. With Dejardins healthy and Johnsson. This team has no excuse for a poor power play. It's still early in the season yet too. It's a long season and I think once the Fly guys settle into Hitch's system they'll be fine.

Handzus looks really good so far too. He's a warrior for sure. Hackett's had some unstable moments of late and that's the one real big question mark with the team. I swear could the Flyers beat the Devils just one year!!! That's all I ask for really.

As for Jagre, 12 mill a year? Find your game fast!!!

Lang, Zubrus, and whoever else is on that line for the caps looks the be the only thing positive for the Caps right now. They really need to get Jagre going to be competative. He was one of the best player in the world just a few years back. With or without Mario.

It's still early though. Lots changes through the 82 game marathon that is the NHL season.

I guess you can tell I'm a bit of a puck head. New to the forum and already there's dirty laundry to be hung up!! ;)

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Glad to have you here! It looks like we have more Flyers fans here than any other team. You, me & Rob.

I'm honestly not being biased when I say this - I'm so glad the Flyers finally got over their fear of having Europeans in the team. Johnsson is great, just what we needed. Handzus too is excellent. I was one who doubted letting Boucher go (I still think that was a bad move) but picking up Handzus was a very smart move.

I cant remember why I chose the Flyers, probably due to a computer game or something! I spent 6 months in & around Philly last year and visited again this year at the start & end of my 6 month US stint.

I hear you're a pretty good bass player too! :thu:

We lined that one up with all our Flyer talk didnt we! What was I saying about Europeans? 7 of the 9 point scorers last night are from Europe.

Jeff - Were the Kings good or were the Flyers bad?

Some interesting results around the league. Boston 4 Colorado 1 in particular. Yeah it's early days but the early signs are that it's gonna be another close & crazy season.

I want this guy back in the team:

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/wallpaper/ILLsample.jpg

Originally posted by flyscots:

Jeff - Were the Kings good or were the Flyers bad?

Both.

In the first two periods, the Flyers just couldn't get in to get shots...Kings were controlling the neutral zone very well. They seem to have gone to more of a Jacques Lemair-style trap.

In the third period, the Flyers finally woke up, but then Cechmanek was on fire. He had some insane saves. Flyers had some good opportunities (Roenick had one especially close drive) but couldn't put it in.

Wheee!

- Jeff

Thanks Jeff

So Paul Kariya's out for a while, will that hurt the Avs? No chance. I read the reviews this morning and saw that Peter Forsberg got a hat-trick, Milan Hejduk got a goal & 2 assists and Adam Foote & Dan Hinote each grabbed a goal. Damn, talk about depth!

Caps winless in six. Dead last in the NHL. Ow! ;)

How about the SouthEast for strength - Atlanta top the league, only defeated by Tampa Bay who have won every game! Ilya Kovalchuk is on fire

Flyers 5 Montreal 0

Nice way to bounce back after a pitiful 0-1-1-1 run.

Great to see LeClair & Gagne on the scoresheet again. According to the NHL.com report Justin Williams was "brilliant" too, that's good to read.

How they looking, Rob & Scotty?

John

I did't see the game because I was finishing up some mixes in Alishad. My son said the Flyers played wirh alot of emotion and fire.I wish they could play that way every game.It's good to see Leclair and Therien back in the lineup,but I still miss Brashear.

Rob :thu:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/564/the_missles.html

John

The Flyers looked real good last night against the Panthers spanking them 5-1.They had three power play goals(Williams,Handzus and Leclair).The real test will be the Devils tonight :D

http://images.comcast-spectacor.com/flyers/homepageSubStory/7076.JPG

Peace

Rob :thu:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/564/the_missles.html

Now that the World series is over, live NHL Hockey returned to British screens last night. St Louis 6 - Detroit 5! I thought that was gonna be a 2-1 Detroit win, I really didnt expect a goal fest like that! CuJo's in net tonight and it's currently 3-1 Nashville at the end of the second period!

Thanks for the update Rob. They showed the goals last night aswell as brief highlights of the previous game. Boy it feels good to have LeClair back in the team! Should we rename this the official Philadelphia Flyers thread? Where is everyone!?

At the time of this post, it's the second intermission and it's 2-2 in the Meadowlands. That would be an OK result, but the Flyers had a 2 goal lead, what are the playing at!? Here's an article from NHL.com about how much difference One Point made to the Flyers' postseason. Well if they feel this way, as I do, they really need to turn these tied games into wins.

I have an unimportant question. As Channel 5 skimmed through the NHL highlights, I noticed that it was the road teams that were wearing white rather than the home teams. Was this a coincidence or is this the new 'standard?'

Rob, I'm looking forward to listening to your tune(s) I'm on dial-up at the moment so I'll listen as soon as I get the time to wait for it!

John

Man I was on the road in Boston and missed the Flyers offensive re-emergance. Nice to see Johnnie Vermont's back swinging the axe!! Gagne too. Pitkaanan's been scoring points as well. The kids got the goods. I loved Fedatenko the Ukraine train but we will win that trade in the end.

One last thing is that in Flyer Florida game the Panthers were making runs at the Flyer players. No respect with Brash out of the line up. I guess Fedoruk isn't intimidating enough.

Devils are next.

How about those Blues. Maybe the NHL will find some scoring this year eh?

(sorry if I misspelled any names in this post, they are hockey players after all!!)

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Flyers 2 - Devils 3.

That's attrocious after having a 2-0 lead. Turn-arounds like that just can't be allowed to happen.

Flyers 7 - Toronto 1.

Now that's more like it! You all know the Leafs are the one team I dont like, hate even, so it's VERY satisfying to see a scoreline like this. It's good to see 6 different goal scorers. Only 22 shots though, Belfour must've had a nightmare. Hopefully Philly can find some level of consistency.

John

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I guess it's about time for me to bump this thread again and take some of my medicine. Jeff's Kings spanked my Craps tonight, as did John's Flyers last week. Life here in the NHL basement sure ain't much fun...
None more black.

Thank you...I was about to go searching for this thread.

I wasn't particularly excited about Klatt joining the Kings this year, but he's been very solid so far. In fact, despite the lack of Allison and Deadmarsh (probably never to return), we've been playing well. Cechmanek is great, but we've been getting good production from guys like Klatt, Avery, Robitaille, and Belanger.

Who knows? It's a long season. But we're not too darn bad right now...hope it lasts.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Thank you...I was about to go searching for this thread.

I wasn't particularly excited about Klatt joining the Kings this year, but he's been very solid so far. In fact, despite the lack of Allison and Deadmarsh (probably never to return), we've been playing well. Cechmanek is great, but we've been getting good production from guys like Klatt, Avery, Robitaille, and Belanger.

Who knows? It's a long season. But we're not too darn bad right now...hope it lasts.

- Jeff

Yeah. You guys looked good and put together a pretty aggresive road effort I'd say, especially considering the long road trip the team has been on. On paper, they'll only get better if/when Allison and Deadmarsh get back.
None more black.

• 3 weeks later...

We hockey fans have been SLACKING on this thread! What the hell, guys? NHL fever...catch it!

My L.A. Kings picked up Martin Straka from the Pens this week. Should be a great premier center for us. Look for us to drop Allison soon as a result.

Don't ask me how we're still holding onto first place in the Pacific. I'm just happy we're doing it! :thu:

- Jeff

You're right, Jeff, this thread has been slacking. I'll try to be as opinionated here as I am on the NFL thread from now on!

Here's the thing, though. I love hockey. I think it's the best sport in the world, other than football and any sport associated with the bedroom or the backseat of my mazda. But I honestly can't make myself care about the season prior to about the last 2 weeks. Then it gets exciting, the games really matter, and the playoffs begin. And playoff hockey is amazing, perhaps even better than playoff football.

I'm not sure if there's a question, or anything insightful contained in this post, I just figured I'd try.

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

Originally posted by berkleeboi:

But I honestly can't make myself care about the season prior to about the last 2 weeks. Then it gets exciting, the games really matter, and the playoffs begin. And playoff hockey is amazing, perhaps even better than playoff football.

I understand.

NHL hockey is very similar to NBA basketball. You enjoy the sport, you casually watch the ups and downs of your team over the course of a long 82-game season. But as soon as football season ends, suddenly your team is playing games that will affect whether or not you make it to the playoffs, and what seed you have if you do. Suddenly, hockey becomes your reason for living. And when the playoffs arrive, the game itself is different. It speeds up. The checks are harder. The assists are more creative. The goals are sweeter.

Football, in a 16-game season, has that live-or-die mentality with every regular season game. But by the time you get to the playoffs, teams are often beaten down and spent. In terms of pure play, you're more likely to see a great mid-season NFL game than a playoff game, usually.

So, it's all good. Go sports!

- Jeff

Anaheim's moment of glory is over, with or without Federov. I'd expect the Wings to spank them hard.

The entire Pacific division is now within three points of each other, with my Kings hanging perilously to the lead.

- Jeff

It's been hard for me to follow the NHL this season. Despite the Flyers doing outstandingly well I've found my interest in the league fading. Maybe it's because I'm more interested in the NFL this year than I've ever been (bet this thread sees much more action when there's no NFL to talk about.)

Actually the main blame lies with the TV coverage we've been getting over here - just one game a week and it's ALWAYS Detroit! Every Wednesday except one since the World Series we have had a Red Wings game on. Now Detroit are doing fantastically well and can be a joy to watch but it's difficult to stay interested when they are 4 goals up, it's 3am and you have to listen to Detroit's local FOX broadcast - you'd think I was in Michigan, not Scotland.

Rob - you know I'm pessimistic about the Flyers. The 12 game run was incredible but we HAVE to be able to beat Ottawa and New Jersey. They're the best team's in the East and we will not get to the Stanley Cup unless we can displace them.

Jeff - too right Straka is a good move. Who did Pittsburgh get in return? They're heading for serious trouble again.

Pittsburgh got a whole lotta nothing for Straka. A low-grade player and a guy who was a high draft pick, but totally unproven.

In the meantime...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20031205/capt.las10512050602.stars_kings_las105.jpg

Go Kings! 3-0 shutout over Dallas...Cechmanek's fourth with the Kings, 24th in his career. And Straka's first goal as a King. :thu:

Kings still sit atop the division. Flyscots, as a Flyers fan, you really should be watching more hockey right now. They look terrific.

- Jeff

I don't have a choice Jeff! It's Detroit or nothing on a Wednesday night. Worse still, it's the local FOX broadcast so we see Detroit from Detroit's point of view. At least when it's ESPN we get unbiased coverage and round-ups from around the league. Unfortunately I'm stuck with Detroit. :mad:

I have been reading the Flyers match reports and smiling, :D but as for watching, I may aswell be blind. :(

Archived