Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-700 vs Yamaha S90

ELP71

I know this gets to be a tired subject...and that it ultimately comes down to personal perference, but have any of you guys had the chance to compare/contrast these two units?

They're about the same price and I was wondering which gives the biggest bang for the buck, and if either is close to being replaced anytime soon.

Thanks in advance!!!

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RD700 had been selling for anywhere between $600 to $900 more than the P90. I paid $1,595.00 for my RD700 back in February of 2002.

I played the P90, P200 and RD700 back to back many, many times. No doubt, the salesperson thought a great deal of that time that I was just wasting his time but I was giving each instrument its opportunity to sell itself. Not by its appearance, not by its weight nor its cost moreover, by its ability to convey the emotion of the passage. Time after time, the RD700 and I made the connection. Its keyboard feels as close to a quality new grand piano as it gets.

I went back the next day and purchased the expansion board "SRX-02 Concert Piano" and use its number 2 patch "Steady Grand" extensively. Its sound is better than most grand pianos I've played and being that it's portable, I wouldn't trade it for ANY grand piano.

The Yamaha P90 is a great piano for around $900 but I was looking for something that would move me beyond that and the RD700 has done that every time I play it. It just doesn't let me down. It takes me on the full musical journey, something the little idiosyncrasies of the other pianos detracted from the journey. The RD700's 128 note polyphony leaves no holes from note drop out, a definite plus when trying to reproduce the acoustics of a piano.

The P90 didn't sustain its higher notes long enough even when using the sustain pedal, something I found objectionable when playing certain piano movements. Not awful mind you, but it detracted from the climax.

Also, and unfortunately, the Yamaha P90 and P200 piano's buttons are too close to the keys so a slightly over zealous swipe of a finger tends to turn your piano recital into a surprise instrument debut.

Naturally, don't play the RD700 in mono, it was meant to be played in stereo by a quality sound system. I've never for a second regretted spending $700 more for the RD700 over the P90. I :love: my RD700!

Originally posted by Dwight-PA:

The RD700 had been selling for anywhere between $600 to $900 more than the P90. I paid $1,595.00 for my RD700 back in February of 2002.

I played the P90, P200 and RD700 back to back many, many times. No doubt, the salesperson thought a great deal of that time that I was just wasting his time but I was giving each instrument its opportunity to sell itself. Not by its appearance, not by its weight nor its cost moreover, by its ability to convey the emotion of the passage. Time after time, the RD700 and I made the connection. Its keyboard feels as close to a quality new grand piano as it gets.

I went back the next day and purchased the expansion board "SRX-02 Concert Piano" and use its number 2 patch "Steady Grand" extensively. Its sound is better than most grand pianos I've played and being that it's portable, I wouldn't trade it for ANY grand piano.

The Yamaha P90 is a great piano for around $900 but I was looking for something that would move me beyond that and the RD700 has done that every time I play it. It just doesn't let me down. It takes me on the full musical journey, something the little idiosyncrasies of the other pianos detracted from the journey. The RD700's 128 note polyphony leaves no holes from note drop out, a definite plus when trying to reproduce the acoustics of a piano.

The P90 didn't sustain its higher notes long enough even when using the sustain pedal, something I found objectionable when playing certain piano movements. Not awful mind you, but it detracted from the climax.

Also, and unfortunately, the Yamaha P90 and P200 piano's buttons are too close to the keys so a slightly over zealous swipe of a finger tends to turn your piano recital into a surprise instrument debut.

Naturally, don't play the RD700 in mono, it was meant to be played in stereo by a quality sound system. I've never for a second regretted spending $700 more for the RD700 over the P90. I :love: my RD700!

What about velocity-switches, how did they compare, in your opinion, on those two instruments?

I have a S90 and played the Roland RD 700 before I purchased my S90. The sounds on the S90 were more useable overall to me and the piano sound on the RD 700 didn't cut it for me which was big for me. Sound quality and keyboard action were my two biggest criteria and I felt the S90 outshined the RD 700 in both these areas. I never regreted my decision to get the S90.

Chris

Originally posted by supermanrulez:

I have a S90 and played the Roland RD 700 before I purchased my S90. The sounds on the S90 were more useable overall to me and the piano sound on the RD 700 didn't cut it for me which was big for me. Sound quality and keyboard action were my two biggest criteria and I felt the S90 outshined the RD 700 in both these areas. I never regreted my decision to get the S90.

Chris

ditto...... :thu:
Surreal :cool:

Archived