Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wesley Willis

Tim Clark

In one of the other threads, I can't remember if it was the John Ritter or Johnny Cash one, someone listed off the inspirations who we've lost this year. I don't think Wesley Willis was on the list....

I first heard Wesley in college...he was the subject of many a drunken laugh-fest. Like everyone else who hears his crappy casio keyboard and idiotic subject matter, I wrote him off as just another internet idiot.

I came across a couple of interviews of him, and began to realize that this was a very troubled and sick individual who treated his music with an intense amount of faith and dedication. He was schizophrenic, and often spoke that the only thing that would stop the demons in his head was the music he played. I started gaining a lot of respect for him, because he made me realize there's an innate healing and positive power in music that a lot of us take for granted.

It's probably sacriligeous to talk about Wesley on a keyboardists forum, since he pretty much relied on the "auto" play functions of cheapo casio keyboards. But from a lot of what I read, you seem to be a respectful and open minded bunch, and thought this might be a good place to a pay a little tribute to Wes.

Rock over London, Rock on Chicago. Wheaties, breakfast of champions.

My music is like a movie for your ears - Frank Zappa

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It's probably sacriligeous to talk about Wesley on a keyboardists forum"

Not really - Anyone who makes a connection to the real heart and spirit of music (where no demons can not tread) is worthy of praise.

Schizophrenia is more common than one might think. None of us are ever "immune" to suffering from mental illness. I've seen it strike sane people who I never thought would ever have that kind of problem.

Compasion is a worth while cause.

LH

Archived