Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help: Program changes between two controllers [Motif and A90EX]

Here is my situation: I use a Yamaha Motif 6 and a Roland A90EX onstage. The Motif is the primary multi-timbral sound source and the A90EX is used almost exclusively for its controller capabilities specifically multi-zone setups. I would very much like to be able to have one of the synths send all of the patch changes I need.

The Motif doesnt respond to program changes in Master or Pattern mode. Song mode is also multi-timbral, but the Motif only responds to Song Select commands in that mode. I was once able to set up the A90EX to transmit Song Select, but I forgot how to do it. Besides, when I did it previously, I had to increment the A90EX performance, then send the Song Select separately.

I have also tried to use the Motif to send program changes, but I cant figure out how to get the A90EX to respond.

Does anyone here have any clue if it is possible to send a single program change for both units, and if so, how it can be done? If I can get this to work, I would also like to chain a Roland A37 into the program change chain...

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Paul

I'm not a "people" person, I'm a "thing" person.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul,

If you set up a Performance for each song on Yamaha, you should be all set. Just be sure to connect both ins and outs in what seems to be a feedback loop. (in/out-out/in).

Then, if you set up the corresponding patch numbers for the appropriate setups on the Roland, you should be able to just send a single performance change from the Yamaha.

Make sure your MIDI outs aren't serving as Out/Thru's.

"For instance" is not proof.

Zeronyne,

Thanks for the reply! I've tried going the performance route, but I am unable to assign different MIDI channels to the parts. The Mixing mode is disabled for performances, and I can't find a MIDI channel parameter in any of the edit functions.

Is it possible that the multi-timbral capability for the Motif is only available in later OS updates? I think I still have one of the early OS versions in my Motif.

I posted this question in Motiforum, and was referred to a post explaining how to use a foot switch to transmit CC99.

I was hoping there might be a simpler solution, seeing as how the Motif is such a powerful unit...

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

I'm not a "people" person, I'm a "thing" person.

Archived