Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Searching for a keyboard...

Atarax

Hello, I've read through many of the posts here and have found them quite useful. Now I'm looking for some advice and recommendations about the purchase of a new keyboard. So far, I have yet to find a keyboard that satisfies the following requirements:

- must cost under $2000 (it can be new or used)

- must be easily portable (under 30 lbs, preferably closer to 20)

- must have good meat-and-potatoes sounds: some good organs & e.pianos, and at least one good piano and one good strings sound

- must be able to quickly switch between sounds

- must have non-weighted keys

This keyboard is for live performance. I don't need any special features or bells and whistles, just the basics.

I've rented a Kurzweil KME61 for a month, and I find it overall quite useable. However, the lack of touch sensitivity on its organ sounds, which the manual describes as "realistic", is to me a nuisance. Also, while there are a few good organ samples, I have need of more.

It may not be possible to find a keyboard with everything I'm looking for, particularly since what constitute "good" organ & e.piano sounds comes down to individual preference. However, any suggestions or recommendations would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Alex

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I had always disabled velocity from my organ patches, I know a lot of people who like them with velocity.

I think Kurzweil made a silly mistake right there. I didn't read the review on Keyboard mag yet, but I think the lack of programmability is gonna make it hard for them to compete with Yamaha S-30, E-mu's keyboards or Roland XP-30. All the same street price range.

If I had 2 grand to spend on a keyboard right now, I'd go for a 61-key version of the new Motif.

Archived