Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Genre Breakdown

Ender

Post your main genre(s) and what you like and dislike about them! I just want to see what kind of diversity we have here music wise. I'll go first

My main genre is electronica with a focus on european dance music like Trance. Although lately I've had a bend towards a more liquid electronica sound that encorporates classical elements, and synthesis techniques into a more moody, emotional vibe. Like the old school music of Vangelis. The example I'm thinking of is from his work for the movie Blade Runner. His use of analog synthesizers is what got me into the analog synth concept in the first place! (I can do THAT with an analog synth?) I also enjoy the pure energy I find in the work of Paul Van Dyk, Paul Oakenfold, Ferry Corsten, Orbital, and many others. I preffer of a deeper more melodic sound rather than a cacophany of beats, and noise. (not so much the club vibe, but the deeper more technotic Trance) I love the free form I get with a synthesizer, specifically analog ones. I love the concept of searching for a perfect union of man and machine ala the techno philosophy. (Technotic Nirvana anyone?) I love the sonic range I hear as well.

What I don't like: How commercialized its become here in the US. I hear 'electronica' everywhere, but its become cheesy 'dance' music rather than a deeper exploration of the human mind, and human condition. I always think of Justin Timberlake's music when I get on this subject. Purely because his sound rips off several artists from the past. (Michael Jackson for example) Where's the self discovery in that? And the drug scene within the electronica genres sucks. I know it's always been there, but for me the music is a far better rush than any drug will ever be. Why reach a false plateau with a chemical when one can reach a pure one with the music? (I'm extremely picky about the music. trust me there's some really wonderful stuff that can move the soul beyond what I've found in other genres of music)

Whenever I post about loving Electronica I'm always keenly away of the nasty stereotype that it has. Especially pertaining to dance music. There's a whole other level out there that most people never sense, and when the negativity starts flying its usually because the cheesey stuff is what comes to mind. (the mainstream stuff. Dig deep if you want the good stuff. I'm not talking about just the hard core weird shit either) As much as I want the truth to surface about it. I don't want it to become another formulaic money maker for the labels like most genres have become in the US anymore.

So yeah! How about it! Let's here your side from your genre(s)!

(PS it's 5 am where I am so if that was one huge tangent I apologize!)

"The heart of the machine is evolving, the soul has emerged, and all who embrace it will reach Teknotic Nirvana." ~ Nos Tehbi "Book of the Teknos"

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived