Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cheap Studio Furniture?

shniggens

Is there such a thing?!?!?

I mean, I can't believe the amount of money that companies such as KK Audio and Omnitrax and Raxxes collect for there relatively simple pieces of furniture.

I hate to beat an assumingly old topic to death, but I was hoping there may have been some revelations since the last time it was discussed.

Unfortunately, I don't have the resources nor the appropriate skills to make the furniture myself. Does that mean I have to spend more than $1,500 for a decent sized workspace that will hold my 88 key and some rack spaces? What the hell? Do you have to be a rock star to have all this nice stuff? :cry:

Ha, I'll quit whining now. Enlighten me, please.

:)

Amateur Hack

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My custom designed bedroom studio consist of the following furniture.

Phase 1:

Computer desk from Walmart - $70

Keyboard stand for 88 note controller and Karma - $120

Phase 2:

Large rack to hold mixer and modules - &120

Phase 3:

Large Quik-Loc monster of a stand for Fantom, second computer, and other items - $340

Phase 4:

Two CD/DVD cabnets just the right size to hold my monitors. Found at Walmart for less than speaker stands - $80

While my total is over $700, this was aquired over a 4 year period. Just get what you need to hold what you have. As your collection grows so can your furniture. My next step is to add a second rack just like the one I already own. I may also get a few attachments for my Quik-Lok stand so it will hold more of my beat boxes and VA's. Make sure you get something that holds your computer monitor at a comfortable height. My Walmart desk holds the monitor too high and it hurts my neck. Now that I integrated my main DAW monitor into my Quik-Lok stand it feels much better. I did this at the cost of removing the arms intended to hold a second keyboard. Lukily my Fantom has the perfect place for a mouse to the right side.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I've been really happy with a JERKER computer desk from IKEA. Its upper shelf is exactly the right width for two rack bays with a half-rack bay between them. The accessory shelves meant for CRTs are perfect for floating your monitors. Flexible, strong, attractive, cheap. Excellent.

Technical Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

Yo Jeff,

Yeah, those nutty Swedes at IKEA and the quirky product names. They apparently make no attempt to avoid unintended connotations in other languages. But if you've ever had an outside producer or ad-agency client in your studio you've already had a Jerker in your studio. . . . :D

Technical Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

Originally posted by KenHughes:

I've been really happy with a JERKER computer desk from IKEA. Its upper shelf is exactly the right width for two rack bays with a half-rack bay between them. The accessory shelves meant for CRTs are perfect for floating your monitors. Flexible, strong, attractive, cheap. Excellent.

I asked this same question a while back and Ken also recommended the JERKER there. I checked it out, bought it and couldn't be happier with it.

I will say one thing while we're on the topic of furniture (but verring away from the "cheap" side).

My friend re-did his little room that has a d8b, and put in an Argosy stand. Man, what a difference! Suddenly (purely on aesthetic), it looked like a place at which one would expect to pay hourly rates (as opposed to laughing when the topic of payment came up). :D

- Jeff

You could get a used office desk. That's what I've got. It's large at 36 x 72 inches. My computer, (with monitor, mouse and keyboard), near-fields, and old M1 fit on that, and I still have some room for a few fx boxes. A cheapo audio rack with wheels can fit under the desk, too.

Not very snazzy, but very inexpensive. I'd suggest a wooden desk if you can find one - perhapsless vibration than a rattling metal one.

Tom F.

"It is what it is."

Archived