Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You guys are gonna hate me...

Dave Bryce

I heard a rumor that the ES can actually support 1GB of RAM, but that it takes too long to load samples into that much RAM so they're not touting it.
Yes it will support 1 gigabyte of RAM. :)

We'll be doing some benchmark tests. Over SmartMedia (which isn't the fastest) a 64MB file loads in 1 minute 35 seconds. USB hard drives should be significantly faster we just haven't done any detailed tests yet. I'll try to some more testing this week.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by burningbusch:

db, please load up your ES with 512MB sticks and report the results.

I'll probably only do 512MB, and I won't get to that for a while. I'm still getting comfortable with the unit.

Next up is sequencing with it - I wanna try the internal one as well as using it w/DP. I hope to get to that before the end of the week. I keep getting distracted by the sounds, though...they really did an excellent job programming this beast.

I haven't had this much fun with a ROMpler in a long time. The last one that held my attention like this was the Wavestation. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by ELP71:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I've compared some like sounds (not the piano, 'cause it just ain't fair).

How come???

They're very different.

The sample on the MOTIF ES is a Yamaha CF3S grand - it's a slightly smaller version of the P250's piano sample. The one in the S90 is of the S700 (a handmade Yamaha piano that costs a small fortune), and is unique to the S90. I believe that the MOTIF sample is larger than the S90 sample.

For those who prefer the S90 sample, I understand that it will be made available for the MOTIF.

Originally posted by Darcity:

Hey Dave, what about the strings and brass?? Do they sound richer and fuller?

I'm actually not that taken with the strings on the MOTIF. The synth strings are okay, but the acoustic ones are a bit lifeless for my taste. Of course, it's possible that this is just a programming issue - I'll know more when I dig in more.

The brass sounds are nice, but didn't kill me like some of the others did. Once again, I'll know more when I've done some programs of my own.

dB

Dave:

how many LFOs does a single tone/layer have in a MotifES patch?

is it still 1, with the amount and inversion options routed to pitch, filter and amp?

thanks,

aeon

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Originally posted by Mike Martin:

I heard a rumor that the ES can actually support 1GB of RAM, but that it takes too long to load samples into that much RAM so they're not touting it.
Yes it will support 1 gigabyte of RAM. :)

We'll be doing some benchmark tests. Over SmartMedia (which isn't the fastest) a 64MB file loads in 1 minute 35 seconds. USB hard drives should be significantly faster we just haven't done any detailed tests yet. I'll try to some more testing this week.

Jeez that's slow. If that's USB 1 though you will hardly get much better - the max transfer rate is roughly 1MB/sec. Is the interface USB 2? That is theoretically an order of magnitude faster if you have a drive that can support it.

Originally posted by aeon:

Dave:

is it still 1, with the amount and inversion options routed to pitch, filter and amp?

I dunno - I'm not familiar enough with MOTIF's architecture to say without checking, and I'm at work and my MOTIF is at home.

Ask Mike - he's the authority. I'm just a humble end-user... ;)

dB

Jeez that's slow. If that's USB 1 though you will hardly get much better - the max transfer rate is roughly 1MB/sec. Is the interface USB 2?
The interface is USB 1.1. The issue isn't

transfer speed alone, its how quickly the Motif ES can process the data once its been tranfered.

Like I said I haven't done an detailed test but te Motif ES is almost as quick as the K2600 (using SCSI) loading sample files. I'll post some results here in the next couple days.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

The Motif ES has 1 LFO per element. Yes it can be used for Pitch, Filter and AMP.

There there is also a new COMMON LFO for the entire voice which has additional destination choices. It has seperate destinations, phase offsets and depth amounts for each element. For the synth sounds in particular this is very cool for making "wavesquencing/vector" style effects.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin said:

The Motif ES has 1 LFO per element. Yes it can be used for Pitch, Filter and AMP. There there is also a new COMMON LFO for the entire voice which has additional destination choices. It has seperate destinations, phase offsets and depth amounts for each element. For the synth sounds in particular this is very cool for making "wavesquencing/vector" style effects.

Sounds like my A5000. :)

Mike, this is an official feature request for all new Yamaha AWM2-based synths...

Add a second LFO to the element layer! From a programming perspective, this is a really weak area in the Yamaha engine.

Also, make those LFOs MIDI syncable...not just the Common/Program LFO. ;)

Originally posted by Kcbass:

I'm working hard to get the new Motif by my birthday in October. Matter of fact, I should be on my way to work soon. If there is any bugs or workarounds please let us know. This purschase will be a speed bump in the bliss enjoyed here at home. When I told my wife I was saving up to get one for my birthday, she replied' " What you gonna get me?" Without thinking I quipped, " I'm not gonna get you anything for my birthday!" Yo! There were only about 8000 other things I could have said just then. Leaving out some minor details, I don't want to hear 'I told you so'. Kcbass

And he's still alive to tell us this tale...

:D

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Sound update...

Spent a bunch of time with the pads, leads and synth basses last night.

The pads are absolutely one of the highlights of the instrument. Outstanding programming, with a wide range of extremely useful sounds - almost every sound in there is one I could see myself using. Wonderful depth, warmth and life, many of them with beautiful filter sweeps controlled by the MW.

The leads are surprisingly good (for a ROMpler) as well - a bit narrower in scope than the pads, but still really good sounds - very useful. They run the gamut from screaming Mini emulations that'd make any prog-head happy to to smooth sine-type tones which could easily be at home in any hip-hop tune.

Both the pads and the leads make it very obvious that the major strength of this piece is the filters, IMO - not only does it blow away any Yamaha ROMpler I've played with, they're some of the best filters I've heard in any ROMpler, period. Really, smooth and creamy on some programs, sizzly and ripping on others. I was actually more than a bit surprised at just how good they are.

The synth basses are kind of a different story - I think Yamaha may have actually made a mistake here. More than half of them seem to have too much bottom end, and are unplayable for me because they make my speakers fart noticeably unless I play them at low volumes. At first, I thought that I had blown something in my speakers; but after checking them with CDs and other synths, I came to the conclusion that it's definitely the synth, not the speakers. I fear that in an attempt to make their synth basses "super-phat", they may have overdone it. Mucking about with the Low EQ parameter (like, setting it to -30!) seems to take care of it, though. Once I did that, the quality and scope of the actual programs themselves are definitely in line with the rest of the synth programs.

Major kudos to Yamaha's programmers - they've done an outstanding job on this beast! I believe even the die-hard Triton fanatics will be very impressed with this instrument.

There's a new sherriff in town boys, and it's name is MOTIF ES! :thu:

dB

I guess you need some real speakers. :D

I haven't noticed "too much" low end on the synth basses, but since there is a three band EQ per part its easy enough to compensate for in a mixing situation.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Originally posted by Mike Martin:

I guess you need some real speakers. :D

...or your sound design team does... ;)

I'll bet they're using them cute lil' MSP5s - the brothers need to get something with accurate low end. I'd be glad to hook them up... :D

I haven't noticed "too much" low end on the synth basses, but since there is a three band EQ per part its easy enough to compensate for in a mixing situation.
Indeed it is - as I said, I just rolled off the low end EQ parameter. No problem.

Since many people don't have speakers that accurately reproduce low end, it shouldn't be a problem for the average end user...

dB

Okay...

Unsolicited, my wife just stuck her head in here to tell me that she really like the sounds coming out of the room. She said:

"Even I can hear that it sounds really good."

:D

dB

Your wife needs to talk to my wife.

Rick

Man, I really wnat that Motif ES....does anybody have Sant Claus's e-mail?? Maybe if ask early on, the elves will get to work building me one. Please, not another LEGO set this year!!!!

Big T

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Aeon - Regarding the LFO's: The "old" Motif is the same way... one LFO per each of the four Elements in a Voice, plus the Common LFO that's applied to all four Elements. I found this to be a bummer compared to my EX5, which DOES have two LFO's per Element. However, the Common LFO on the Motif does have one cool trick up its sleeve: it can use custom waveforms. I don't believe our A5000's will do that, but now I'm wondering so I'm going to go back and check the owners manual! You never know what you may have missed on these machines! :)

Regarding your LFO request to Yamaha, why didn't you ask for FOUR LFO's (instead of just two), like our Evolvers have?! :D

Regarding the LFO's: The "old" Motif is the same way... one LFO per each of the four Elements in a Voice, plus the Common LFO that's applied to all four Elements.
The ES is different in that each Element has its own phase offset, destitation choice and depth control for the common LFO.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Thanks for the info, Mike. The phase offset, in particular, is a very nice addition. Still not as flexible as two LFO's per Element, but a real help, and a reasonable compromise without having to re-do the basic architecture. Let's go with four or five LFO's per Element on the next major overhaul, shall we? http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb/wink.gif

Originally posted by opp:

how's that there piano and them there drums?

The piano is excellent. I think that I prefer it to the S700 sample in the S90, but I believe the filters have a lot to do with that, though. Mike M had me play a single strike sample that he did - the filters made me wonder it was a multi-strike sample. They're that good. I'll be very interested to hear the S700 sample in the MOTIF (Mike sez they're gonna make it available).

The drums are actually really well done. Very clear and crisp, but with a lot of bottom end. I'll use them for sure.

dB

Ski said:

However, the Common LFO on the Motif does have one cool trick up its sleeve: it can use custom waveforms. I don't believe our A5000's will do that, but now I'm wondering so I'm going to go back and check the owners manual! You never know what you may have missed on these machines!

Actually, the A5000 has user definable shapes for the Program LFO very similar to the Motif ES in that you can define values and slopes for up to 16 steps a la a mini sequencer...and the Program LFO has programmable phase offset as well as key sync and tempo sync, just like the Motif ES.

Surprisingly, you are limited to routing the Motif ES Common LFO (Program LFO on A5000) to element amplitude, pitch, filter cutoff, resonance, pan, and element LFO speed.

On the A5000 you can route the Program LFO to all of those things plus sample start, portamento rate and time, cutoff spread in dual filter modes, filter gain, each and every segment of the pitch, filter and amp envelopes, element LFO speed and delay, the modulation depth of the element LFO for amplitude, pitch and filter, pitch bend (including all the directional and speed modes), the modulation depth of the six mod matrix routings on a per sample level, the level and pan of the live sample inputs, the modulation depth of the four mod matrix routings on a per program level, its own depth, the output level, pan and width of any of the six effects processor blocks, and every modulatable parameter in any of the six effects blocks.

:eek:

That doesnt take away from the Motif ES at all...but it does illustrate that the Program LFO on the A-series samplers is more a modular step-sequencer that can modulate nearly anything in the machine than it is just an LFO...and that the A-series samplers are great machines for tweakers and sound designers. ;)

Also notice the difference in the A5000 filter section vs. the Motif ES. With the Motif ES, you lose the per-voice parametric EQ of the A5000 (which I love so much for drums), and the actual filter types, while similar overall, are different. With the Motif ES you get some of the more analog-flavor models, but you give up the A-series peaking modes, although the A5000s manual is a little unclear overall as to the poles and slopes of the filters as compared to the Motif ES manual.

cheers,

aeon

Originally posted by GuestUser:

The piano is excellent. I think that I prefer it to the S700 sample in the S90, but I believe the filters have a lot to do with that, though.

Can you hear the velocity-switches?
If I try real hard. They're not anywhere as noticeable to me as they are on other instruments, though.

I'll bet you'll be pretty happy with the Rhodes stuff, Richard. There's more than a few good ones in there...really fun to play... :thu:

dB

Archived