Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SONAR does ASIO!

Yes, I've heard from a reliable source that Sonar will soon be compatible with ASIO drivers, not just WDM. This is obviously a pretty significant step for Cakewalk, but also, gives some nice props to Steinberg at a time when Apple says that OS X makes ASIO obsolete, and Microsoft keeps saying WDM is the only way to go. Nice. I love it when companies adopt standards invented by other companies for the benefit of the consumer.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do I get the feeling this coincides with Digidesigns new Asio drivers?Anyway,Iv'e posted before that I thought and still think WDM is superior but,this is a good compatibility move.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I can't tell you how happy this makes me if it is in fact true. Although WDM rocks, not all interfaces support it including many older cards that were discontined before WDM existed. For example, my great sounding Wave 824 has very solid ASIO drivers but no WDM, so after all of these years I can finally use it with Sonar. Very cool!

[quote]Originally posted by ... and J.Mathers as the Sylver: [b]Aardvard now support WDM drivers. You have to have XT, though.[/b][/quote]According to users theyr'e not true WDM drivers,but something like A-WDM divers.The Aardvark users over at audioforums are quite unhappy with these drivers to say the least,so this Sonar announcement should come as good news.

[quote]Originally posted by Alndla la la la la: [b]Anyway,Iv'e posted before that I thought and still think WDM is superior but,this is a good compatibility move.[/b][/quote]Well for example in the case of M-Audio Delta, both WDM (really KS) and ASIO are sharing the same driver. KS (which SONAR currently uses) and ASIO are just interfaces (ways to get at) the same underlying driver. WDM the "Windows Driver Model", has been very instrumental in making pro audio on Windows 2000 and Windows XP possible for many many users. -david abraham

<> It's called VST-DX Adapter, by FXpansion. I use it with Sonar and can run about 20 different VSTi devices with no problems whatsoever. But also let me be a tease: EQ has a scoop coming up in the January issue that I think you will find very interesting :) And that's all I'm gonna say!

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]...It's called VST-DX Adapter, by FXpansion. I use it with Sonar and can run about 20 different VSTi devices with no problems whatsoever. But also let me be a tease: EQ has a scoop coming up in the January issue that I think you will find very interesting :) And that's all I'm gonna say![/b][/quote]Interresting. I currently use DirectiXer with no problems but there are still things that VST does better when controlling effects. It is a tough decision when trying to choose between VST and DX effects when they don't come bundled for the same price. When I post this question the responce I usually get is to go with VST effects. I look forward to seeing what is about to happen. Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Interesting Thread. Here's a question for you knowledgable types: My RME card came in a box sporting a colorful sticker which said "ASIO poured in hardware". As a SONAR user, I ignored it. Now I wonder, when SONAR gets ASIO support will the "poured in" ASIO be more efficient than the already pretty fine MME? -ml
Rubber Lizard Studio

[quote]Originally posted by Rabid: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]...It's called VST-DX Adapter, by FXpansion. I use it with Sonar and can run about 20 different VSTi devices with no problems whatsoever. But also let me be a tease: EQ has a scoop coming up in the January issue that I think you will find very interesting :) And that's all I'm gonna say![/b][/quote]Interresting. I currently use DirectiXer with no problems but there are still things that VST does better when controlling effects. It is a tough decision when trying to choose between VST and DX effects when they don't come bundled for the same price. When I post this question the responce I usually get is to go with VST effects. I look forward to seeing what is about to happen. Robert[/b][/quote]Yes, but there are also things that DXi does better that VST, like automatic latency compensation. I think that Cakewalk is in the right development path, but it is also a smart strategic move not putting all eggs in Microsoft´s basket. Jose.

Sonar now supports PROTOOLS HD/TDM I'm a Cubase user, but I have to acknowledge this as a major move by the Cake boys. :thu: http://www.harmony-central.com/News/2002/SONAR-Digi-Support.html SONAR to Support Digidesign 001, 002, MBox and Pro Tools|HD Hardware December 6, 2002 -- Cakewalk has announced that its flagship SONAR audio and MIDI production software will support Digidesign audio hardware, including the Digi 001, 002, Mbox, and Pro Tools|HD products. Now Digidesign customers can expand their PC studios with SONAR's integrated audio and MIDI recording software, including DirectX audio effects, DXi software synths, ACID-compatible loop editing tools, and support for ReWire instruments. Cakewalk will support Digidesign hardware using Digidesign's recently announced ASIO drivers for Windows XP. Cakewalk will provide a driver update to all registered SONAR 2.x customers in early 2003. SONAR already supports a wide range of Windows audio hardware using Microsoft's industry-standard WDM and MME drivers. "Until now, Digidesign customers weren't able to extend their studios with SONAR's complementary suite of audio and MIDI tools," commented Michael Hoover, director of product management at Cakewalk. "With SONAR's new support for Digidesign audio hardware, Digidesign customers can take advantage of SONAR's unique tool set, with features like extensive MIDI and audio editing, automatable DirectX audio effects, low-latency DXi software synths, ACID-compatible audio loop editing, and support for ReWire instruments." SONAR offers unlimited digital audio and MIDI tracks; a centralized interface design for improved creative workflow; advanced audio looping and editing tools; ReWire 2.0 support; global support for control surface hardware; DXi software synthesizer plug-ins; fully-automatable DirectX 8 audio plug-ins; real-time MIDI FX plug-ins; and extensive audio loops and SoundFont libraries. In October 2002, the company released a free SONAR 2.1 Update on its web site that adds support for OMFI file exchanges between compatible software like Pro Tools, Avid, and Logic. The 2.1 Update also adds support for the Mackie Control, allowing musicians and producers to use the popular Mackie surface hardware to control SONAR's recording, editing and mixing operations. Pricing and Availability A free SONAR update providing Digidesign hardware support will be available for all registered SONAR 2.x customers in February, 2003. Registered SONAR users will be able to download the update for free at [url=http://www.cakewalk.com.]www.cakewalk.com.[/url] SONAR has a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $479 U.S.; SONAR XL is $599 MSRP. For more information, visit their web site at [url=http://www.cakewalk.com.]www.cakewalk.com.[/url]

[quote]Originally posted by David Abraham Fenton: [b]Well for example in the case of M-Audio Delta, both WDM (really KS) and ASIO are sharing the same driver. KS (which SONAR currently uses) and ASIO are just interfaces (ways to get at) the same underlying driver. WDM the "Windows Driver Model", has been very instrumental in making pro audio on Windows 2000 and Windows XP possible for many many users. -david abraham[/b][/quote]Yes,I understand both drivers are direct communication drivers that bypass the K-Mixer,however,I get 1.5ms with M-Audio WDM and 2.9 at best with M-Audio ASIO.Maybe Sonar handles low latencey better,but maybe WDM has a more effiecient way of bypassing the K-Mixer.I also have an RME 96/8 PST on another machine with Nuendo and it's the same thing,2.9 at best with high track counts and plugs,so that obviously leads me to my conclusion.Of course 2.9 is just fine for most scenarios,but not live input of effects through inserts where that's a huge difference.When Sonar implements Asio I can do some real tests with both cards,but I pretty much know what the outcome will be.In either case,good move by this company.

I've been "sitting" on info regarding Sonar and ASIO drivers for a couple of weeks now because I was asked by the company rep (and no, I'm not saying which company) who divulged it to me to keep it to myself. And Digidesign released ASIO drivers for their interfaces. Hmmm, coincidence? ;) Between Digidesign and Cakewalk / Sonar, Emagic Logic is becoming less and less frequently used around here... and I hope they all take a BIG bite out of Apple's bottom line. :p Naaah, I'm not bitter about them dropping Logic for PC's. ;)

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]Naaah, I'm not bitter about them dropping Logic for PC's. ;) [/b][/quote]You shouldn't be. Emagic was always in favor for the Mac platform so why bother putting your money into a company like that? Fuck em!

There seem to be two different press releases floating around regarding this subject. There's the main one from Cakewalk, and there's one that's apparently from Digidesign that I found on PlanetZ. I couldn't find it on Digidesign's site, though. It said specifically that Sonar is going to support other ASIO cards, but I don't know if that's a real press release. I started a petition to gather signatures to support ASIO, but I don't know if it's necessary now! Shayne White
Discover Human Music by Shayne White at: http://www.shaynesworld.com

Archived