Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best place to buy a new Mac?

Hey all, I'm going to do it. Looking for the best place to do it. I might even buy a new computer while I'm at it. :rolleyes: Looking for recommendations or warnings. I'm considering places like Mac Mall or Mac Warehouse because of the price and lack of sales tax. Free printer and memory upgrades don't hurt either. The Mac/PC debate is lost on me, lots of threads on that if you need to go there. But, to quote Oprah, don't go there [i](girlfriend)[/i]. Dual gig and superdrive, here I come.
-David R.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mac Mall is a good way to go. They ship promptly. I got mine the next day, IIRC. I ordered an iPod from Apple directly, and that worked out fine, too. You won't get free memory from Apple, but there's no middle man to handle and potentially damage things, either. Which model are you considering? :thu:

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Thanks for the replies. Dan, I am looking at the Dual 1 gig with Superdrive. A concern of mine is hearing that after jan 1 all new macs will boot from OSX only. I still love my Korg Oaysys card and the bastards at Korg are not going to write drivers for OSX. This is a card that sold for over $2000 just a couple of years ago. Korg, are you hearing this public tongue lashing? Any more opinions?
-David R.

Make sure that new Macs aren't coming out soon cause if they do soon after you buy yours, you'll be pissed to find out you could have saved $400 if you waited. But then again, you can't wait forever...

Kris

My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

This time of year is the worst if you can't stand hearing about lower prices and new models after the holidays. But if that's not going to bother you, and it seems like you're prepared, full speed ahead! I use MacMall, fast and never a problem. Plus it ain't nothin' like breakin' a brand new Mac out the box. A bit of advice, emerse yourself in the setup and configuration of your new machine, you won't have time to think about prices after the fact. Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Or if you need to get a fully loaded machine, you could check out Sweetwater (in Florida I think). They can configure you a system with just what you want, and maybe even help with the card issue. It's worth a shot just to see what they can come up with.
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Dealmac is a great site but not so great for a new system. At least nothing there that I found. Sweetwater is a whole kettle of fish and I would rather end up with an Apple. :D I already have the software and don't need the extra care for extra $$ that they offer. Soon, very soon...
-David R.

[quote]Originally posted by David R.: [b]Hey all, I'm going to do it. Looking for the best place to do it. I might even buy a new computer while I'm at it. :rolleyes: Looking for recommendations or warnings. I'm considering places like Mac Mall or Mac Warehouse because of the price and lack of sales tax. Free printer and memory upgrades don't hurt either. The Mac/PC debate is lost on me, lots of threads on that if you need to go there. But, to quote Oprah, don't go there [i](girlfriend)[/i]. Dual gig and superdrive, here I come.[/b][/quote]Find out if the new Mac you're going to buy will be discontinued in Jan. at MacWorld SF here... [url=http://www.macsurfer.com]www.macsurfer.com[/url] I LOVE my Mac! Peace. Carmen :wave:

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Sir Winston Churchill

I'd wait less than one month til the big apple show in San Fran. I am sure they are announcing something new. They have offered rebates to schools on the lower end stuff, which usually means a speed bump is around the corner. When you do buy, why not the Apple Store near you?

Waiting to see what apple introduces after the new year is a waste of time, because the guy already stated that he needs to run OS9. As everybody knows, the new machines will be X only, so telling him to get one of those machines, will not work for him. alon

Archived