Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2 Cakewalk questions: 1 easy, 1 hard

Maestroff

Easy one first to get you warmed up :)

I've been using Cakewalk Professional 7 as my midi sequencer of choice for the last few years. In the time since I bought it I haven't really been keeping my eye on Cakewalk's new products and upgrades. But now I'm considering upgrading and am confused by all the new names and discontinued old ones. Home Studio, Sonar, Project 5, etc. Which one is the best successor to the software I have now? I need it mainly to control MIDI devices and help me compose music. I don't work with digital audio but would like to start using SoundFonts as an instrument source (more on that in #2). And the cheaper the better.

Here's question/problem 2. As I mentioned earlier I would like to start using SoundFonts as sound sources for my MIDI compositions. I have a super fast WinXP PC with an Audigy 2 soundcard so hardware isn't an issue. And I'm using the aforementioned Cakewalk Pro 7. CP7 claims to have SoundFont support.

I downloaded a free, small Soundfont from soundfonts.com and used the SoundFont manager program that came with the soundcard to load it into an unused memory bank. With that program running I could use the built in virtual keyboard or my MIDI keyboard to play notes that use the soundfont I loaded. So far, so good.

The problem came when I tried to get CP7 to assign a track to the new soundfont so I could play it through the sequencer. I have tried every possible combination of track settings and just can't seem to get it to work. The only thing it ever seems to want to play is General MIDI. And there is never more than 1 bank available for selection - a bank that is not my newly loaded Soundfont. How do I get Cakewalk to locate and recognize it? Oh yeah, I also used the tools->SoundFonts menu item to load the .sf2 file into a bank other than 0 but it didn't seem to help. What am I forgetting to do here? Would a different sequencing program work any better?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Maestroff:

Easy one first to get you warmed up :)

I've been using Cakewalk Professional 7 as my midi sequencer of choice for the last few years. In the time since I bought it I haven't really been keeping my eye on Cakewalk's new products and upgrades. But now I'm considering upgrading and am confused by all the new names and discontinued old ones. Home Studio, Sonar, Project 5, etc. Which one is the best successor to the software I have now? I need it mainly to control MIDI devices and help me compose music. I don't work with digital audio but would like to start using SoundFonts as an instrument source (more on that in #2). And the cheaper the better.

Cakewalk Professional ended with Version 9 - and was replaced by SONAR, which is now in versions 2.2 I think (call it Professional version 11, if you will ;) ). They come in two flavors, SONAR and SONAR XL, XL being the more expensive with 1 more soft synth and 2 more effects (I think)

HomeStudio is a stripped down version of Software - as far as MIDI, the main difference I think is that you're limited to 120 ppqn for midi resolution, as opposed to SONAR which goes up to 960 ppqn (or something like that). The cakewalk website may have a comparison chart.

This is still one more stripped version which I can't remember right now.

Can't help you with the other - never used soundfonts.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I've never used version 7, so I can't be certain. I use both CPA9 and Sonar (v.1.31), which are very soundfont friendly. I load the soundfont with the manager, and create a MIDI track. I need to assign a MIDI channel to the track before I have the soundfont available to me. Oh - Did you assign your MIDI devices? I usually assign all of Synth A to Soundfonts. I forgot where this might be available - Preferences? Maybe from the track settings too...If nothing's assigned to soundfonts, I'd doubt they'd come up. Give it a shot...

/edit - had to correct my spelling of 'assign'...typing too fast...!

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

Well I got it (the Soundfonts) to work! Not exactly sure what the cure was since I fiddled around with several things before my successful attempt. But I suspect the trick was to add more output choices in the devices menu. So thanks Jeff. Now I just have to decide if I want to spend $150 on an upgrade to Sonar or $150 on a package of professional soundfonts....

Just a heads up. I just ordered the upgrade to Sonar a few minutes ago. I own Proaudio 9. Cakewalk is having a sale right now. To upgrade from Proaudio 9, it only cost me $99 compared to the usual $149 to upgrade. You might want to check this out.
Yamis

Originally posted by Maestroff

Now I just have to decide if I want to spend $150 on an upgrade to Sonar or $150 on a package of professional soundfonts....

I'd go with the Sonar upgrade especially considering the sale Yamis mentioned.

I've bought a number of "professinal" SoundFonts and, depending upon the instrument, haven't fond them to be much better that the free ones available on the web.

You might want to check HammerSound . It's hit and miss, but there are a number of excellent free SoundFonts available on the site.

I took another look at the upgrades page at cakewalk.com. Its $99 for an upgrade from the Pro Audio/Deluxe/Pro Suite to Sonar 2.2. But as the owner of Cakewalk professional 7, which was the cheaper version of Cakewalk Proaudio 7, I doubt it applies to me. I plan to download the trial version of Sonar to try it out. But unless I find it tremendously easier to write music with then CP7, I'll probably stick with what I have. Especially now that I know it can use Soundfonts.

I did try a couple of the sounds at hammersound already. Mainly orchestral instruments. The quality was a mix of good and bad, even in the higher rated ones. Next time I get a chance I'll have to try some of the guitar soundfonts since that is what I need the most. The non-accoustic guitar sounds on my sound module are generaly awful.

Robert - are you talking about the DXi soft synths included with Sonar 2.2 when you say "virtual instruments and effects"? I admit I'm not too familiar with them. What advantages to they have over just using a large collection of sound fonts?

Yes. There are some DXis included with Sonar XL, some available for free on the Internet, and some for purchase from other companies. In addition you can get a DXi/VSTi wrapper to enable Sonar to use VSTis, which is just another soft synth format. There is a huge variety of instruments available. B4 from Native Instruments is a great virtual Hammond. LoungeLizard is great for eps. Battery or DR-008 for drums. Triangle I and Triangle II from rgc:Audio are good free monophonic synths. Look around at Native Instruments and rgcAudio for more information on their products. If I had to choose two companies as a source for all of my sound, it would be NI and rgcAudio. You can also visit KvR-VST for more information on software synths and hosts.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

sorry man I cant help you but I do have a cakewalk question of my own. Ok I know that with most recording programs, you can save what you record in a wav format and then use some freeware that converts the wav into mp3 format. I have Cakewalk Sonar XL 2 and I just finished recording something with it and I save it, but it only lets me save it as these types of files I have never heard of, I saved it as a .cwp (cakewalk project) file. I want to make this .cwp file into an .mp3 file... but I dont know of any software that does that... does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do?

Originally posted by Dr.FleshLust:

sorry man I cant help you but I do have a cakewalk question of my own. Ok I know that with most recording programs, you can save what you record in a wav format and then use some freeware that converts the wav into mp3 format. I have Cakewalk Sonar XL 2 and I just finished recording something with it and I save it, but it only lets me save it as these types of files I have never heard of, I saved it as a .cwp (cakewalk project) file. I want to make this .cwp file into an .mp3 file... but I dont know of any software that does that... does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do?

You mix it down to a stereo track (Edit->Bounce to Track) then you export it to a WAV (File->Export)... If you have MIDI driving external instruments things are more complex, tho.

Originally posted by Dr.FleshLust:

Select the track with the audio

File - Export Audio

Select the file name and format (.wav, .mp3, etc)

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

Select the track with the audio

File - Export Audio

Select the file name and format (.wav, .mp3, etc)

One additional note - you can select multiple tracks, not just one. Just hold down the Ctrl as you click on each of the tracks. Sonar does a good job of exporting a project that contains a mixture of midi, DXi and audio loops to wav.

Originally posted by JimmieWannaB:

One additional note - you can select multiple tracks, not just one. Just hold down the Ctrl as you click on each of the tracks. Sonar does a good job of exporting a project that contains a mixture of midi, DXi and audio loops to wav.

Well, I think he was asking about exporting to audio (mp3), so it doesn't make any sense to export midi in the mixture ;) Does it even work anyhow?

You really want to bounce to 1 track and then export that to audio so you have 'control' of what you're doing.

MBP-LOGIC

Well, I think he was asking about exporting to audio (mp3), so it doesn't make any sense to export midi in the mixture Does it even work anyhow?
I should have been a bit clearer. I meant it will export a DX software synth under midi control.

I curious as to how bouncing tracks is better. Since individual mix and effects control can be exported, I usually export my final mix. If I decide to make changes, I can tweak the mix and then re-export. I've never used the feature, but I was under the impression (possibly misconception) that once I bounced a track, I was committed to the mix.

Whether or not to bounce can be determined by how your system performs the source material you are using. Bouncing can help alleviate CPU load if you have a lot of soft synth track or tracks with a lot of individual effects. I sometimes have a problem if I bounce too many tracks. For some reason one of my computers does not do very well streaming a lot of audio tracks at once for a final mix. Once you bounce you can mute the MIDI source track and keep it in reserve. If you need to edit you go back to that MIDI track, make the edits and bounce it again.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived