Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pop/rock Christmas songs that don't suck

I'm totally amazing that only Charlie has mentioned [i]Fairytale of New York[/i] ... didn't those over on the other side of the pond get that tune or something? It still brings a tear to my eye ...
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Matt, It was released as a 45 in its own right, with a dandy picture sleeve and Jimmy Cliff's "The Harder They Come" on the B-side. It's out of print now, it was only available for a very limited time in limited quantities. I bought mine new in 1979. :) I think you can find it on eBay, or I can send you an MP3 if you're desperate. :D [/b][/quote]I have one, too (also bought when it came out). Actually, you beat me in mentioning that song in this thread first. Do you think it is a valuable collector´s item know? :) By the way, do you have any idea of who were the rest of musicians in that record? Best, Jose.

Best Christmas Songs Ever: [b]Run DMC -- "Christmas In Hollis"[/b] It was December 24th on Hollis Ave in the dark When I see a man chilling with his dog in the park I approached very slowly with my heart full of fear Looked at his dog oh my God an ill reindeer But then I was illin because the man had a beard And a bag full of goodies 12 o'clock had neared So I turned my head a second and the man had gone But he left his driver's wallet smack dead on the lawn I picket the wallet up then I took a pause Took out the license and it cold said "Santa Claus" A million dollars in it, cold hundreds of G's Enough to buy a boat and matching car with ease But I'd never steal from Santa, cause that ain't right So I'm going home to mail it back to him that night But when I got home I bugged, cause under the tree Was a letter from Santa and all the dough was for me It's Christmas time in Hollis Queens Mom's cooking chicken and collard greens Rice and stuffing, macaroni and cheese And Santa put gifts under Christmas trees Decorate the house with lights at night Snow's on the ground, snow white so bright In the fireplace is the yule log Beneath the mistle toe as we drink egg nog The rhymes you hear are the rhymes of Darryl's But each and every year we bust Christmas carrols Rhymes so loud and proud you hear it It's Christmas time and we got the spirit Jack Frost chillin, the torches out And that's what Christmas is all about The time is now, the place is here And the whole wide world is filled with cheer My name's D.M.C. with the mic in my hand And I'm chilling and coolin just like a snowman So open your eyes, lend us an ear We want to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! [b] The Pogues -- "Fairy Tale Of New York"[/b] It was Christmas Eve babe In the drunk tank An old man said to me, won't see another one And then he sang a song The rare old mountain tune I turned my face away And dreamed about you Got on a lucky one Came in eighteen to one I've got a feeling This year's for me and you So happy Christmas I love you baby I can see a better time When all our dreams come true They've got cars big as bars They've got rivers of gold But the wind goes right through you It's no place for the old When you first took my hand On a cold Christmas Eve You promised me Broadway was waiting for me You were handsome You were pretty Queen of New York City When the band finished playing They howled out for more Sinatra was swinging, All the drunks they were singing We kissed on a corner Then danced through the night (chorus) The boys of the NYPD choir Were singing "Galway Bay" And the bells were ringing out For Christmas day You're a bum You're a punk You're an old slut on junk Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed You scumbag, you maggot You cheap lousy faggot Happy Christmas your arse I pray God it's our last (chorus) I could have been someone Well so could anyone You took my dreams from me When I first found you I kept them with me babe I put them with my own Can't make it all alone I've built my dreams around you (chorus)

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Yeah the Springsteen track is honestly sung and it fits him. Noone mentioned the doggie version of Jingle bells. What vocal chain do you think they used. ;) Talk about artists being bitches in the studio :D Anyway- since my whole family sings along to this one when its on- it must not suck.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

[quote]Originally posted by JoseC.: [b]I have one, too (also bought when it came out). Actually, you beat me in mentioning that song in this thread first. Do you think it is a valuable collector´s item know? :) [/b][/quote]Heheh... don't know, I'm not selling mine anyhow so I haven't looked into that. [quote][b] By the way, do you have any idea of who were the rest of musicians in that record?[/b][/quote]I think all the instruments were played by Keith except for drums (Charlie Watts) and piano (Ian Stewart). --Lee Best, Jose.[/QB][/QUOTE]

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b] [quote]Originally posted by JoseC.: [b]I have one, too (also bought when it came out). Actually, you beat me in mentioning that song in this thread first. Do you think it is a valuable collector´s item know? :) [/b][/quote]Heheh... don't know, I'm not selling mine anyhow so I haven't looked into that. [quote][b] By the way, do you have any idea of who were the rest of musicians in that record?[/b][/quote]I think all the instruments were played by Keith except for drums (Charlie Watts) and piano (Ian Stewart). --Lee Best, Jose.[/b][/quote][/QB][/QUOTE] I´m not selling either, it would be like selling a piece of my own life :) Yep, drums are definitely Watts, no doubt there. If I remember well, this was supposed to be Keith´s first solo release. Jose.

Certainly not pop/rock but I've always liked the first GRP Christmas album that came out in the late '80's sometime. Darryl Stuermer's version of "Little Drummer Boy" is very cool. Larry Carlton's "Christmas At My House" is also a very cool jazz Christmas album.

[quote]Originally posted by midispaceho: [b]Its jazz, but I like Herb Alpert and the TJB version of Jingle Bells. Could do without the cheezy 70s style vocal scat though.[/b][/quote]There's a frog in your pencil box? What the heck does THAT mean? :D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]I like E-Money's list - except for the Band Aid thing - man, I HATED that track![/b][/quote]I'm with Phil. "Do They Know...?" was less suckworthy than "We Are The World" but it's a very irritating tune nonetheless.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

[quote]Originally posted by sparksongs: [b]Check out the Christmas Album Phil Spector put out in the 60's (re-issued on CD) w/ The Ronettes, Darlene Love, etc.) The title is something like "A Christmas Gift For You".[/b][/quote]I'd say this is probably the best non-traditional Christmas album out there. Some of my favorites off of others would be: Almost anything from Elvis, especially Santa Claus is Back in Town Tom Petty - Christmas All over Again from A Very Special Christmas Vol. 2 Christmas Time is Here (instrumental) - Vince Guaraldi on Charlie Brown Christmas

[quote]Originally posted by mzeger: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Charlie-brm: [b] I think it is The Motels. Barely a melody, almost like rap with a horn section on the chorus: Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, da da ?????? Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, da da ?????? It's story from a single woman getting ready for Christmas and everything is going wrong. Help me out with that one.[/b][/quote]I think the group & song is The Waitresses "Christmas Wrapping". I'll add to the list: Run-DMC "Christmas in Hollis"[/b][/quote]Yup, that's it. I just checked online. Thanks. Christmas isn't complete without hearing it at least once.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

[quote]Originally posted by whitefang: [b]Christmas songs that aren't religious in nature are usually schmaltzy. Whitefang[/b][/quote]Gee, I think the religious ones are schmaltzy, too. Though that's cool. I'm working on a new one called "Can Santa Come Down Your Chimney Tonight, Baby" ;) ...sort of a blues...

[quote]Originally posted by CMDN: [b]Best Christmas Songs Ever: [b] The Pogues -- "Fairy Tale Of New York"[/b] It was Christmas Eve babe In the drunk tank An old man said to me, won't see another one And then he sang a song The rare old mountain tune I turned my face away And dreamed about you Got on a lucky one Came in eighteen to one I've got a feeling This year's for me and you So happy Christmas I love you baby I can see a better time When all our dreams come true They've got cars big as bars They've got rivers of gold But the wind goes right through you It's no place for the old When you first took my hand On a cold Christmas Eve You promised me Broadway was waiting for me You were handsome You were pretty Queen of New York City When the band finished playing They howled out for more Sinatra was swinging, All the drunks they were singing We kissed on a corner Then danced through the night (chorus) The boys of the NYPD choir Were singing "Galway Bay" And the bells were ringing out For Christmas day You're a bum You're a punk You're an old slut on junk Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed You scumbag, you maggot You cheap lousy faggot Happy Christmas your arse I pray God it's our last (chorus) I could have been someone Well so could anyone You took my dreams from me When I first found you I kept them with me babe I put them with my own Can't make it all alone I've built my dreams around you (chorus)[/b][/quote]A better Christmas song does not exist :thu:
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

It's funny many of you feel the McCartney and Lennon songs are overplayed but listed Springsteen's. Maybe it's cause I grew up in LI, NY which is not far from NJ and have heard Springsteen so many times already. As they say, "To each, his/her own"

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

i would have to say "Christmas with the Vandals: Oi to the World!" not really "pop" or "rock"....BUT it is the best x-mas lp's EVER!!!!!!!!! hell even my mom loves it! you can get yer copy here >>>>>>>>>> [url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000005BO4/ref%3Dase%5Fdoyouhearwhatihe/002-4543647-5074453#product-details]click me[/url]

Hey, did anyone ever find out who did that recording of some guy impersonating Porky Pig singing "Blue Christmas?" I taped it off the radio a few years ago, and at the time the stations were claiming thay had no idea who it was. It simply started making the rounds of radio stations out of nowhere. Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

This is certain to rocket to the top of Dan's "hell no" list, but I've just been spinning the John Denver and The Muppets album. The medley Alfie/Carol for a tree/It's in everyone of us always makes me feel good. Of course many of the songs have a heavy dose of muppets, which is never a bad thing. Love Animal blowing the ending of Little St. Nick.... I agree that many great songs were written before the 60s, but I also agree with many of the suggestions above (though many I don't know). I enjoy songs like "Christmas Wrapping" and the Kinks "Father Christmas", but they shove current times into Christmas. I think we usually need Christmas to change our current times, not reflect them. Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived